Newbury Park mum pleads guilty to racially abusing woman
A mother-of-three �racially abused a �Muslim woman before spitting in the face of a police officer, a court has heard.
India McConnell, of Netley Road, Newbury Park, stood in front of a woman wearing a burka before shouting a racist slur and telling her to “go home”.
Redbridge Magistrates’ Court heard the 27-year-old had been drinking the previous day and all night before the incident at 8.45am in Ilford Lane at its junction with Winston Way on October 4.
In a statement read out by the prosecution lawyer, a witness said Miss McConnell pulled up her top mimicking the �woman’s head scarf before shouting the abuse .
It added she was with a man who was saying to her: “Don’t do that.”
You may also want to watch:
The witness said the woman was with four children, two in prams, who were “horrified”.
He asked why she was shouting to which she �replied: “This is England. She should go back home.”
- 1 Residents complain their Ilford street now 'full of crime'
- 2 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 3 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 4 Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer visits Redbridge on campaign trail
- 5 Former Ilford South MP opens up on Labour departure in new book
- 6 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 7 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 8 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 9 Covid hospital admissions and deaths in stark decline, NHS trust data shows
- 10 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
He said she was becoming confrontational and she tried to get him into a side road. Fearing for his safety he called police.
On seeing police Miss McConnell ran off through the car park of the Exchange Ilford, the court heard on Thursday.
She was detained and arrested by Pc Simon Jackson and taken to Barkingside Police Station in a van.
She had been kicking the door and when it was opened by Mr Jackson she remained aggressive and spat in his face, magistrates were told.
The court heard on Thursday how Miss McConnell has a “severe” drinking problem and started crying when told she had shouted out the slur.
A defence lawyer said: “She said she couldn’t �believe she had done that in front of children and suffers from blank periods when drinking copious amounts of vodka.
“She has a boyfriend who is Asian and Muslim so this is unusual.
“She said he is in intensive care at the moment so she is drinking more.”
Miss McConnell pleaded guilty to using racially aggravated threatening and abusive words or �behaviour but insisted she was not racist.
She was bailed and will be sentenced on December 1.