Neighbourhood Watch warns burglars could be using chalk to mark targets in South Woodford
- Credit: Archant
A “team of people” have been scoping houses in South Woodford and earmarking them for burglary with white chalk, according to head of Redbridge Neighbourhood Watch.
Seven properties and driveways in Rose Avenue and Thornwood Close, have been branded with an X symbol in the past two months.
Mark Glazer, Watch chairman, said residents were concerned after seeing the letter on their pavements.
“There are mysterious chalk markings appearing by houses with apparent low security,” he said
“They often don’t have CCTV and are poorly lit.
You may also want to watch:
“It is an old trick and incidents have been reported to the police”
Mr Glazer began investigating the marks after a spate of burglaries in neighbouring Albert Road.
- 1 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 2 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
- 3 Almost 250 homes without internet in Goodmayes after car accident takes out telecoms box
- 4 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 5 Surplus of primary school places now but shortage expected within 10 years
- 6 Redevelopment plans likely to be approved despite 144 objections
- 7 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 8 Double murder arrest as dramatic footage shows police detaining woman
- 9 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 10 CCTV still issued of man sought in 'vicious and unprovoked' attack in broad daylight in Barkingside supermarket
The first chalk cross in Rose Avenue was seen at the end of January and in the last two weeks six more have appeared.
“(Those behind the scheme) are hiring a team of people to check out properties for burglary,” added Mr Glazer. “If you see the marking – it is nothing fancy just a white cross – then take a photo of it and wash it off immediately and call the police on 101.”
And the Neighbourhood Watch chief believes burglaries have been avoided after removing the chalk marks.