National disability campaigner invites residents to become ambassadors
- Credit: Archant
A campaigner is appealing for wheelchair users in the borough to help disabled people find accessible cafes, shops and attractions.
Steve Wilkinson, 63, who calls himself Wheelchair Steve and founded International Wheelchair Day, wants residents to offer advice.
He said: “Often the information on Google or elsewhere is inadequate, and I wanted to do something about it.
“Through my website, people can sign up as wheelchair ambassadors, and people can get in touch with them to ask about the best places to eat, visit and so on, in Ilford.
“I’m a wheelchair user myself and I’m trying to create a network of people around the country, so visitors can get in touch if they’re visiting somewhere.
“I’m looking for as many residents as possible across the UK, not just one person from each area.
“I’m hoping that it will improve business at these places that are accessible for wheelchair users, their family and friends, and encourage other businesses to do the same.”
- 1 Met investigates cause of Mossford Green cemetery blaze
- 2 VOTE: Which east London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 3 Lightbulb likely cause of Khartoum Road house fire
- 4 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 5 Ilford man has van crushed, given curfew for Barking and Dagenham fly-tips
- 6 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 7 Caught on camera: 6 wanted fly-tippers and litterbugs
- 8 Elizabeth Line opens: Londoners enjoy first day of service
- 9 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 10 Trust cuts waiting list backlog created by computer error
In order to sign up, residents should email email@example.com, and create a Twitter account, in order to chat with people who may get in touch with you.
In the email, include where you live, what type of wheelchair you use, or if you are a family member, friend or carer of a wheelchair user.