Murder probe after homeless Ilford man battered to death
A MURDER inquiry is underway after a homeless man discovered dead near an Ilford cemetery was found to have been battered to death.
A post-mortem carried out on Saturday on the 31-year-old found he died as a result of head and neck injuries.
His body was discovered by police near Buckingham Road Cemetery, Buckingham Road, Ilford, at about 8pm on Thursday.
The man was one of three homeless men attacked between 11pm and midnight on Wednesday.
At 1am on Thursday, police were called to reports on an injured man in High Road, Ilford.
You may also want to watch:
The 58-year-old was taken to hospital with serious head injuries.
Later than day, at 3.30pm, police were called to reports of another injured man near Buckingham Road Cemetery.
- 1 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 2 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 3 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 4 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 5 Spiritual Life: What next for the great Hindu temples of Redbridge?
- 6 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 7 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 8 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 9 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 10 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
The 42-year-old, also suffering serious head injuries, was rushed to hospital.
Both men, who have since been transferred to a different east London hospital, remain in a serious condition.
Following a search of the area, police found a third man near the cemetery.
He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Det Chief Insp John MacDonald said: “I believe that all three men were attacked between 11pm and midnight on Wednesday evening while they were together near to the Buckingham Road Cemetery.
“All three were rough sleepers who frequently slept in a car park adjacent to business premises off Clarks Road near to Ilford High Road.”
He added: “I need to hear from anyone who saw or heard a disturbance in or around Clarks Road and the Buckingham Road Cemetery late on Wednesday or in the early hours of Thursday morning.”
Anyone with information should call 020 8345 3985, or Crimstoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
• A 43-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the investigation. He remains in police custody this morning.