Murder probe after homeless Ilford man battered to death
A MURDER inquiry is underway after a homeless man discovered dead near an Ilford cemetery was found to have been battered to death.
A post-mortem carried out on Saturday on the 31-year-old found he died as a result of head and neck injuries.
His body was discovered by police near Buckingham Road Cemetery, Buckingham Road, Ilford, at about 8pm on Thursday.
The man was one of three homeless men attacked between 11pm and midnight on Wednesday.
At 1am on Thursday, police were called to reports on an injured man in High Road, Ilford.
You may also want to watch:
The 58-year-old was taken to hospital with serious head injuries.
Later than day, at 3.30pm, police were called to reports of another injured man near Buckingham Road Cemetery.
- 1 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 2 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 3 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 4 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 5 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 6 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 7 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 8 New Covid vaccine centres to open across east London
- 9 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 10 Council seeks public input after York Road anti-social behaviour concerns
The 42-year-old, also suffering serious head injuries, was rushed to hospital.
Both men, who have since been transferred to a different east London hospital, remain in a serious condition.
Following a search of the area, police found a third man near the cemetery.
He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Det Chief Insp John MacDonald said: “I believe that all three men were attacked between 11pm and midnight on Wednesday evening while they were together near to the Buckingham Road Cemetery.
“All three were rough sleepers who frequently slept in a car park adjacent to business premises off Clarks Road near to Ilford High Road.”
He added: “I need to hear from anyone who saw or heard a disturbance in or around Clarks Road and the Buckingham Road Cemetery late on Wednesday or in the early hours of Thursday morning.”
Anyone with information should call 020 8345 3985, or Crimstoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
• A 43-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the investigation. He remains in police custody this morning.