Murder probe after homeless Ilford man battered to death
A MURDER inquiry is underway after a homeless man discovered dead near an Ilford cemetery was found to have been battered to death.
A post-mortem carried out on Saturday on the 31-year-old found he died as a result of head and neck injuries.
His body was discovered by police near Buckingham Road Cemetery, Buckingham Road, Ilford, at about 8pm on Thursday.
The man was one of three homeless men attacked between 11pm and midnight on Wednesday.
At 1am on Thursday, police were called to reports on an injured man in High Road, Ilford.
The 58-year-old was taken to hospital with serious head injuries.
Later than day, at 3.30pm, police were called to reports of another injured man near Buckingham Road Cemetery.
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Police no longer looking for man wanted in connection with assault
- 3 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 4 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Awards nomination for 'rights champion' schoolgirl, 9
- 6 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 7 Men jailed for using explosives in string of ATM thefts
- 8 Driver charged in connection with fatal collision on M11 due in court
- 9 Patients with Covid in east London hospitals fall after rising for weeks
- 10 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
The 42-year-old, also suffering serious head injuries, was rushed to hospital.
Both men, who have since been transferred to a different east London hospital, remain in a serious condition.
Following a search of the area, police found a third man near the cemetery.
He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Det Chief Insp John MacDonald said: “I believe that all three men were attacked between 11pm and midnight on Wednesday evening while they were together near to the Buckingham Road Cemetery.
“All three were rough sleepers who frequently slept in a car park adjacent to business premises off Clarks Road near to Ilford High Road.”
He added: “I need to hear from anyone who saw or heard a disturbance in or around Clarks Road and the Buckingham Road Cemetery late on Wednesday or in the early hours of Thursday morning.”
Anyone with information should call 020 8345 3985, or Crimstoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
• A 43-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the investigation. He remains in police custody this morning.