Murder on doorstep inspires song for Ilford singer’s debut EP
- Credit: Archant
An R&B singer-songwriter is hoping his debut release inspired by real experiences will take his career to the next level.
J-Sol, 21, from Ilford, says his favourite track off his EP Genesis was inspired by the murder of hotel receptionist Magdalena Welna in his street, last year.
“It happened right outside my house – I’m the one who called the police,” said J-Sol.
“October 31st [the day it took place] is the most emotional song I’ve ever written – the whole thing affected me. It makes you think – it could’ve been anyone – so I had to write a song about it.
“Most of the time I write about girls and love but this was different – I’ve never done anything like it before.”
You may also want to watch:
The former Valentines High School pupil is hoping his songs about love and life will resonate with audiences after spending about two years putting the seven-song project together.
He said: “I found it hard to stop making songs – I wrote about 100 songs before I finalised the track list.
- 1 Owner who posted video of his restaurant defying Covid rules loses licence
- 2 Ilford man raises awareness of 'life-saving' gadget after dad's death
- 3 South Woodford post office to close in the spring
- 4 Fire breaks out at care home under renovation in Newbury Park
- 5 South Woodford flat 'has parties several times a week during lockdown'
- 6 Have you seen this 17-year-old missing from Wanstead?
- 7 Plans for 66ft 5G mast in Goodmayes alarms residents
- 8 Woman had phone stolen at knife-point in Woodford Green
- 9 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 10 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
“I wanted it to be the best, I wanted to keep writing more in case I had something better – it was supposed to come out two years ago but I didn’t feel like I was ready and I didn’t want to rush it.
“I took my time and I’m really proud of it and the response I’ve had so far has been really good.”
J-Sol says the EP is R&B with a “modern twist”.
“It’s my first offering to the music industry,” he said.
“I’ve got a body of work that I’m proud of. There’s songs on there that people can relate to – they’re all real life experiences. There’s something for everyone.”
Genesis has an impressive list of featuring artists too, with rappers Cashtastic, Sneakbo and Paigey Cakey making the cut.
“I’m feeling good about it,” said J-Sol. “It’s getting on radio and blogs – it was on [BBC] 1xtra the other day and Charlie Sloth’s [BBC] show too. I’m feeling really blessed and honoured.”
To stay on top of J-Sol’s music and video releases visit twitter.com/jsolworld. To download the EP on iTunes click here.