Murder on doorstep inspires song for Ilford singer’s debut EP
- Credit: Archant
An R&B singer-songwriter is hoping his debut release inspired by real experiences will take his career to the next level.
J-Sol, 21, from Ilford, says his favourite track off his EP Genesis was inspired by the murder of hotel receptionist Magdalena Welna in his street, last year.
“It happened right outside my house – I’m the one who called the police,” said J-Sol.
“October 31st [the day it took place] is the most emotional song I’ve ever written – the whole thing affected me. It makes you think – it could’ve been anyone – so I had to write a song about it.
“Most of the time I write about girls and love but this was different – I’ve never done anything like it before.”
You may also want to watch:
The former Valentines High School pupil is hoping his songs about love and life will resonate with audiences after spending about two years putting the seven-song project together.
He said: “I found it hard to stop making songs – I wrote about 100 songs before I finalised the track list.
- 1 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 2 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 3 Waste reduction campaign launches with Redbridge fifth largest rubbish producer in England
- 4 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 5 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 6 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 7 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 8 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 9 Attempted murder arrest after woman seriously injured in Barkingside
- 10 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
“I wanted it to be the best, I wanted to keep writing more in case I had something better – it was supposed to come out two years ago but I didn’t feel like I was ready and I didn’t want to rush it.
“I took my time and I’m really proud of it and the response I’ve had so far has been really good.”
J-Sol says the EP is R&B with a “modern twist”.
“It’s my first offering to the music industry,” he said.
“I’ve got a body of work that I’m proud of. There’s songs on there that people can relate to – they’re all real life experiences. There’s something for everyone.”
Genesis has an impressive list of featuring artists too, with rappers Cashtastic, Sneakbo and Paigey Cakey making the cut.
“I’m feeling good about it,” said J-Sol. “It’s getting on radio and blogs – it was on [BBC] 1xtra the other day and Charlie Sloth’s [BBC] show too. I’m feeling really blessed and honoured.”
To stay on top of J-Sol’s music and video releases visit twitter.com/jsolworld. To download the EP on iTunes click here.