Mum of shot Hainault 5-year-old: ‘I feel empty inside’
The mum of a five-year-old Hainault girl shot in the chest after getting caught in the middle of an apparent gang dispute says she cannot eat or sleep until her daughter opens her eyes.
Thusha Kamaleswaran is in a serious but stable condition in hospital after being shot on Tuesday in Stockwell Food & Wine Shop, Stockwell Road.
The youngster, of Tomswood Hill, Hainault, goes to Fairlop Primary School, Colvin Gardens, Hainault.
It is believed she was visiting the shop because it is owned by relatives.
Mum Sharmila Kamaleswaran said: “This incident has caused much shock for me and my family.
You may also want to watch:
“As any mother, I have deep love for all my children and what has happened to my daughter Thusha has left me feeling empty inside.
“I cannot eat or sleep properly until she opens her eyes.
- 1 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 2 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 3 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 4 Nine Redbridge parks retain Green Flag Award status
- 5 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 6 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 7 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 8 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 9 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 10 Anti-hate crime workshops to be delivered in Redbridge
“My daughter Thusha is such a sweet, quiet and helpful child, always smiling and laughing.
“I cannot wait to hear her voice again and hold her. I ask and thank everyone who are praying for her.
“I ask for any person who knows about those responsible for this to come forward and speak to the police.
“I do not wish this to happen to another family.
“I thank all hospital staff who are involved in the care of my daughter Thusha.”
Anthony McCalla, 19 of Oakdale Road, Streatham, appeared at Camberwell Green Magistrates’ Court on Saturday charged with the attempted murder of Thusha and the attempted murder of 35-year-old Roshan Selvakumar, who was shot in the face in the same incident.
A 14-year-old arrested in connection with the double shooting has been bailed until later this month, while an 18-year-old is in police custody.
Witnesses or anyone with information are asked to call police on 020 8247 4553 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.