MP calls meeting after Woodford Green shooting
Residents concerned at violence in Woodford Green after a shooting at an ice-cream parlour can quiz their MP and police chief.
Iain Duncan Smith, the MP for Chingford and Woodford Green, has called a public meeting to bring together local officials and the public.
It follows the shooting on November 14 of James Bryant at the Cakes and Shakes shop he co-owns in High Road, Woodford Green.
He is in hospital in a serious but stable condition after he was reportedly shot three times in the daytime attack.
Mr Duncan Smith will be joined by borough police chief Det Ch Supt Sue Williams, council leader Cllr Keith Prince, Cllr Ruth Clark, who chairs the borough licensing committee, and Church End ward councillors Hugh Cleaver and Richard Hoskins.
You may also want to watch:
The meeting will focus on antisocial behaviour, violence and the night-time economy in Woodford Green and South Woodford.
Frank Cruder, the chairman of Chelmsford and Derby Road Neighbourhood Watch, said: “I felt a lot of residents and businesses were shocked that there was a shooting.”
- 1 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 2 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 3 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 4 Olympian-trained South Woodford sprinter, 8, breaks record in Manchester
- 5 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 6 Barkingside man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences
- 7 The Sikh Network on grieving in lockdown and death 'as a process of life'
- 8 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 9 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 10 Litter in Redbridge parks quadruples in one year, council reveals
Temidire Owolabi, 21, of Grays, Essex, has been charged with attempted murder in relation to the shooting, possession of a shotgun with intent to endanger life and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.
He is expected to make a plea at the Old Bailey on January 30. Three other men have been arrested and bailed to return this month.
The meeting is at Woodford Methodist Church, Derby Road, South Woodford, on February 3 from 5pm. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or Mr Cruder on 07762 364 707.