Mother of murdered Goodmayes man: ‘I wish it was me who died instead’
- Credit: Met Police
As her son’s murderer was jailed for life, a grieving mother has said she wished “it was me or his father who died instead”.
The parents of Goodmayes man Edgaras Kondrotas released the statement today, after his killer Irvingas Makasejevas was sentenced to 26 years imprisonment at the Old Bailey.
Makasejevas murdered his fellow Lithuanian at his home in Sebert Road, Forest Gate, on January 12.
Mr Kondrotas suffered multiple injuries – probably caused by being stamped on – which led to a massive internal bleed.
Judge Wendy Joseph QC said the murder was of a “extreme level of brutality that judges do not often come across”.
In their statement Mr Kondrotas’ mother and father, Audra and Vaclovas, said: “The death of Edgaras has been the biggest impact that we have ever had in our family.
“I wish it was me or his father who died instead. We have lost our child, our very good child.”
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of Ilford murder as police name victim
- 2 Tributes paid to law graduate murdered as she walked home in Ilford
- 3 Murder investigation launched after woman fatally attacked in Ilford
- 4 Air ambulance lands after man stabbed in South Woodford
- 5 Man dies after being found unresponsive in Valentines Park
- 6 Homes under the Planner: Applications approved or refused in Redbridge
- 7 Mayor tells borough's youth: 'Be ambitious for Redbridge'
- 8 Series of failures sees Met Police placed under special measures
- 9 Guilty: Hainault man admits traffic light stabbing
- 10 Man denies committing GBH during alleged robbery at Barkingside Tesco
They spoke about how Mr Kondrotas’ brothers would never see him come back “with a smile or with a football like he used to”.
They continued: “We are beyond our breaking point. Losing our child is like taking away our lives.
“We have nothing to look forward to anymore; our hearts are empty, in despair. The grief is unbearable.
“Every time the phone rings from abroad we are hoping to hear Edgaras voice … our beloved child’s voice.”