Man smashes way out of Ilford off licence with stolen £4 packet of cigarettes
- Credit: Archant
This was the devastation left at an Ilford off licence after an unhappy customer smashed his way out the shop with a £4 packet of cigarettes this afternoon.
The incident happened at Drinks Are Us, in Cranbrook Road, around 2pm.
Manager Kamaljit Singh said the man wanted to pay for the pack of 10 on card but was told he would be charged extra because of the shop’s £5 minimum spend policy.
He added: “He didn’t say anything about being unhappy – he just picked up the fags and started walking out.
“My colleague locked the door and said he couldn’t leave with them but he kept walking out and smashed his way through.”
Even with the added charge for card payment, the cigarettes would have cost around £4.
Mr Singh said the damage done to the door and shop front will cost thousands of pounds to repair.
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman fatally attacked in Ilford
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of Ilford murder as police name victim
- 3 Man dies after being found unresponsive in Valentines Park
- 4 Homes under the Planner: Applications approved or refused in Redbridge
- 5 Air ambulance lands after man stabbed in South Woodford
- 6 Man denies committing GBH during alleged robbery at Barkingside Tesco
- 7 Guilty: Hainault man admits traffic light stabbing
- 8 Found: Missing girl who was believed to have travelled to east London
- 9 Teen found guilty of robbing boy, 12, in Romford while carrying knife
- 10 Goodmayes fatal stabbing: Double murder trial set to open
The glass panes from the door and windows fell onto the busy pavement but no one was injured.
Mr Singh said: “He was such a strong guy, the whole front is gone.
“It’s lucky no one was walking past.”
Redbridge Police could not be contacted for details of their investigation.