Man smashes way out of Ilford off licence with stolen £4 packet of cigarettes
- Credit: Archant
This was the devastation left at an Ilford off licence after an unhappy customer smashed his way out the shop with a £4 packet of cigarettes this afternoon.
The incident happened at Drinks Are Us, in Cranbrook Road, around 2pm.
Manager Kamaljit Singh said the man wanted to pay for the pack of 10 on card but was told he would be charged extra because of the shop’s £5 minimum spend policy.
He added: “He didn’t say anything about being unhappy – he just picked up the fags and started walking out.
“My colleague locked the door and said he couldn’t leave with them but he kept walking out and smashed his way through.”
Even with the added charge for card payment, the cigarettes would have cost around £4.
Mr Singh said the damage done to the door and shop front will cost thousands of pounds to repair.
- 1 Arrest made after man falls from height during forced entry incident
- 2 Keith Prince to keep fighting as plans to develop former Homebase inch closer
- 3 Man attacked with machete before falling from height in Wanstead
- 4 Judicial review could 'stop GP surgery privatisation'
- 5 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 6 Updated number of unvaccinated King George and Queen's hospital staff revealed as deadline looms
- 7 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 8 Covid patients numbers declining in east London hospitals
- 9 Funding problems throw timeline of new Whipps Cross hospital into doubt
- 10 Woodford Green teen to play at orchestral concert
The glass panes from the door and windows fell onto the busy pavement but no one was injured.
Mr Singh said: “He was such a strong guy, the whole front is gone.
“It’s lucky no one was walking past.”
Redbridge Police could not be contacted for details of their investigation.