Man smashes way out of Ilford off licence with stolen £4 packet of cigarettes
- Credit: Archant
This was the devastation left at an Ilford off licence after an unhappy customer smashed his way out the shop with a £4 packet of cigarettes this afternoon.
The incident happened at Drinks Are Us, in Cranbrook Road, around 2pm.
Manager Kamaljit Singh said the man wanted to pay for the pack of 10 on card but was told he would be charged extra because of the shop’s £5 minimum spend policy.
He added: “He didn’t say anything about being unhappy – he just picked up the fags and started walking out.
“My colleague locked the door and said he couldn’t leave with them but he kept walking out and smashed his way through.”
You may also want to watch:
Even with the added charge for card payment, the cigarettes would have cost around £4.
Mr Singh said the damage done to the door and shop front will cost thousands of pounds to repair.
- 1 Residents complain their Ilford street now 'full of crime'
- 2 Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer visits Redbridge on campaign trail
- 3 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 4 Sadiq Khan comes to Redbridge ahead of London elections
- 5 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 6 Loxford and Seven Kings by-election candidates make case for your vote
- 7 Consultation launches on plans to move preschool and open excluded pupils facility at youth centre
- 8 Former Ilford South MP opens up on Labour departure in new book
- 9 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 10 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
The glass panes from the door and windows fell onto the busy pavement but no one was injured.
Mr Singh said: “He was such a strong guy, the whole front is gone.
“It’s lucky no one was walking past.”
Redbridge Police could not be contacted for details of their investigation.