Man smashes way out of Ilford off licence with stolen £4 packet of cigarettes
- Credit: Archant
This was the devastation left at an Ilford off licence after an unhappy customer smashed his way out the shop with a £4 packet of cigarettes this afternoon.
The incident happened at Drinks Are Us, in Cranbrook Road, around 2pm.
Manager Kamaljit Singh said the man wanted to pay for the pack of 10 on card but was told he would be charged extra because of the shop’s £5 minimum spend policy.
He added: “He didn’t say anything about being unhappy – he just picked up the fags and started walking out.
“My colleague locked the door and said he couldn’t leave with them but he kept walking out and smashed his way through.”
You may also want to watch:
Even with the added charge for card payment, the cigarettes would have cost around £4.
Mr Singh said the damage done to the door and shop front will cost thousands of pounds to repair.
- 1 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 2 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 3 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Fireaway pizza branch to open in South Woodford
- 6 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 7 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
- 8 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 9 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 10 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
The glass panes from the door and windows fell onto the busy pavement but no one was injured.
Mr Singh said: “He was such a strong guy, the whole front is gone.
“It’s lucky no one was walking past.”
Redbridge Police could not be contacted for details of their investigation.