Man shot and stabbed in residential Ilford street
- Credit: Archant
A man “bleeding heavily” fled into a mosque for help after being shot and stabbed in a residential Ilford street this afternoon.
Police were called to Eton Road, Ilford, at 2.02pm, after reports a man had been seen armed with a knife.
Shortly after officers found the victim, who had been shot and was suffering stab wounds, outside the Muslim Community Centre.
Police believe he was attacked in a residential address and fled to the mosque for help.
Chairman of the League of British Muslims Bashir Chaudhry, whose group runs the centre, was the person who called the emergency services.
You may also want to watch:
“There was a fight outside our centre,” he told the Recorder.
“The man bleeding heavily came running into the centre.
- 1 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for London Assembly, Loxford and Seven Kings
- 3 Man wanted in connection with dangerous driving incident in Newbury Park
- 4 'No stone will be left unturned' to find killer of Maria Jane Rawlings
- 5 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
- 6 Man stabbed in Goodmayes
- 7 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
- 8 Police car flips over in Chadwell Heath collision
- 9 Mosque director: Ilford egg attack highlights Islamophobia Muslims face
- 10 Detectives hunt for knifepoint phone robber in Woodford Green
“I was at the front and called 999, the police and ambulance.”
Mr Chaudhry said the man then said his attacker was “getting away” before running outside where he collapsed.
He added: “There was blood everywhere.”
The victim was then rushed to an east London hospital by the air ambulance where he remains.
His injuries are believed to be non-life threatening.
A Met spokesman said detectives do not believe the incident is gang or terror related.
He emphasised that the ongoing cordon, around the mosque, is only in place as the victim fled there after being attacked.
The assault is not thought to be a hate crime.
It is thought the victim and his attacker knew each other.
Twtter user @Itzhesk told the Recorder that police helicopters could be heard overhead.
No arrests have been made and inquiries continue.
Did you see anything? Email email@example.com.