Man shot and stabbed in residential Ilford street
- Credit: Archant
A man “bleeding heavily” fled into a mosque for help after being shot and stabbed in a residential Ilford street this afternoon.
Police were called to Eton Road, Ilford, at 2.02pm, after reports a man had been seen armed with a knife.
Shortly after officers found the victim, who had been shot and was suffering stab wounds, outside the Muslim Community Centre.
Police believe he was attacked in a residential address and fled to the mosque for help.
Chairman of the League of British Muslims Bashir Chaudhry, whose group runs the centre, was the person who called the emergency services.
You may also want to watch:
“There was a fight outside our centre,” he told the Recorder.
“The man bleeding heavily came running into the centre.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 5 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 6 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 7 Dagenham set to sign youngster Aaron Blair as McQueen to go out on loan
- 8 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 9 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 10 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
“I was at the front and called 999, the police and ambulance.”
Mr Chaudhry said the man then said his attacker was “getting away” before running outside where he collapsed.
He added: “There was blood everywhere.”
The victim was then rushed to an east London hospital by the air ambulance where he remains.
His injuries are believed to be non-life threatening.
A Met spokesman said detectives do not believe the incident is gang or terror related.
He emphasised that the ongoing cordon, around the mosque, is only in place as the victim fled there after being attacked.
The assault is not thought to be a hate crime.
It is thought the victim and his attacker knew each other.
Twtter user @Itzhesk told the Recorder that police helicopters could be heard overhead.
No arrests have been made and inquiries continue.
Did you see anything? Email email@example.com.