Man confesses to murder of Ilford mum
A FATHER-of-one who killed his partner during a row at the family home is facing a life sentence after pleading guilty today.
Afzal Hussain, 34, confessed to the murder of 30 year-old Carmen Stanescu during a short hearing at the Old Bailey.
Miss Stanescu, who had a two year-old daughter, was found dead in Charles Church Walk, Ilford on March 12.
Police were called to the scene following reports of a disturbance at the house in the early afternoon.
Miss Stanescu had suffered several slash wounds to her neck from a blade.
You may also want to watch:
Hussain, of Charles Church Walk, was due to stand trial next month.
But at a plea and case management hearing he pleaded guilty to the single charge of murder.
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 5 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 6 Dispersal order issued ahead of fears over ‘illegal music events’
- 7 Walk-in Covid vaccinations on offer at Valentines Park health fair
- 8 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
- 9 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
- 10 Goodmayes racer Alex Lynn and title leader Sam Bird preview London E-Prix
The case was not opened and he will be sentenced on Monday.
Prosecutor Peter Wright said: “The defendant pleads guilty to the murder of his partner Carmen Stanescu.
“The family of the deceased have only recently been informed and her father is out of the country until the weekend.”
Judge William Kennedy adjourned sentencing until next week and told Hussain: “Of course you know that you face significant imprisonment.”
Hussain, a Bangladeshi, wept as he was led down to the cells.
• Did you know Carmen? Email us at email@example.com, or call 020 8477 3800.