Man charged with 2009 rape and murder of Hainault woman
- Credit: Archant
A man has been extradited from India and charged with the murder of a Hainault woman 10 years ago.
Aman Vyas, 35, arrived at Heathrow Airport on Friday, October 4. On his arrival, he was charged with the murder and rape of 35-year-old Michelle Samaraweera, of Kielder Close, who died after being attacked in Walthamstow on May 30, 2009.
Vyas was also charged with the following offences relating to three other women:
- one count of attempted murder;
- five counts of assault;
- seven counts of rape;
- one count of possession of a knife or bladed article in a public place
- 1 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 2 Covid survivor, 16, urges people to get jabbed after months in hospital
- 3 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 4 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 5 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 6 Nine rescue pets looking for homes this Christmas in east London
- 7 Travel disruptions to look out for this week across east London
- 8 All under 40s to be offered Covid booster jab
- 9 Call for witnesses after man, 54, dies following Eastern Avenue collision
- 10 Long-life food, foil and credit: Readers' tips for saving money this winter
- one count of possession of an offensive weapon;
- one count of sexual assault.
Vyas will appear in custody at Uxbridge Magistrates' Court today,Saturday, October 5.
The offences are alleged to have taken place at locations across Walthamstow between March 24, 2009 and May30, 2009.