Man arrested on suspicion of Ilford High Road murder
- Credit: Archant
A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder in connection with the death of a man beaten in Ilford High Road on Sunday.
The 27-year-old was arrested on Thursday, November 16, and remains in custody.
Police continue to appeal for information and witnesses to the assault which happened at 2.48am and is thought to have involved up to five assailants armed with baseball bats.
The victim was named locally as Sorin Serbu but has been named by police as Sandel Serbu, a 36-year-old Romanian who had recently come to the UK and was living in Barking.
Det Ch Insp Paul Considine of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, who is leading the investigation, said: “We know that those responsible for this deadly assault arrived at the location in two cars. The victim was attacked as he got out of a vehicle in which he was a passenger.
You may also want to watch:
“There were a number of people, both in cars and pedestrians, who would have witnessed this attack. I need these people to come forward and tell me what they saw.
“I would also like to appeal to anyone who may have captured footage of the scene or the aftermath to contact police. Your footage may hold vital evidence.”
- 1 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 2 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 3 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 4 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 5 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 6 Council seeks public input after York Road anti-social behaviour concerns
- 7 New Covid vaccine centres to open across east London
- 8 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 9 Neighbours slam council over Christchurch Green kiosk approval
- 10 Homebuilder steps back from proposals over rising projected costs
Please send any video via the website https://ukpoliceimageappeal.com/upload/choose
Police were called by the London Ambulance Service to reports of a fight and an injured man at the High Road junction with Connaught Road, Ilford.
They found Mr Serbu suffering from critical injuries. He was taken by ambulance to an east London hospital, where he died at 4.35am.
A post-mortem examination held at East Ham Mortuary on Thursday, November 16, gave cause of death as blunt force trauma to the head.
Anyone who witnessed this incident or has information that may assist the investigation should call the Homicide and Major Crime Command on 020 8345 3734, send a message via Twitter @MetCC or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.