Man, 51, faces jail for Ilford sheltered housing double stabbing
- Credit: Met Police
A 51-year-old man, who stabbed to death his ex-girlfriend and her new partner in Ilford last year, will be sentenced at the Old Bailey today.
Paul Mallin killed Karen Reid, 53, and John Down, 86, at the Fernways sheltered housing unit where they all lived on September 5.
He was due on trial in January for two counts of murder, however the prosecution dropped those charges following psychological and psychiatric reports.
Mallin, also of Fernways, Cecil Road, Ilford, had previously pleaded guilty to manslaughter on January 4.
He has been remanded in custody at Belmarsh prison.
You may also want to watch:
There are various options for sentence, including an indefinite jail term or a hospital order.
See the Recorder website later today for a full report.
- 1 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 2 Barkingside man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 5 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 6 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 7 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 8 Olympian-trained South Woodford sprinter, 8, breaks record in Manchester
- 9 'Darkest days of my life': Six-year-old diagnosed with rare condition suffers OCD, anxiety and depressive symptoms
- 10 The Sikh Network on grieving in lockdown and death 'as a process of life'