Man, 51, faces jail for Ilford sheltered housing double stabbing
- Credit: Met Police
A 51-year-old man, who stabbed to death his ex-girlfriend and her new partner in Ilford last year, will be sentenced at the Old Bailey today.
Paul Mallin killed Karen Reid, 53, and John Down, 86, at the Fernways sheltered housing unit where they all lived on September 5.
He was due on trial in January for two counts of murder, however the prosecution dropped those charges following psychological and psychiatric reports.
Mallin, also of Fernways, Cecil Road, Ilford, had previously pleaded guilty to manslaughter on January 4.
He has been remanded in custody at Belmarsh prison.
You may also want to watch:
There are various options for sentence, including an indefinite jail term or a hospital order.
See the Recorder website later today for a full report.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 3 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 4 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 5 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 6 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 7 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 8 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 9 Police warn of 'violence, urination' as takeaway applies for late licence
- 10 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers