Man, 51, faces jail for Ilford sheltered housing double stabbing
- Credit: Met Police
A 51-year-old man, who stabbed to death his ex-girlfriend and her new partner in Ilford last year, will be sentenced at the Old Bailey today.
Paul Mallin killed Karen Reid, 53, and John Down, 86, at the Fernways sheltered housing unit where they all lived on September 5.
He was due on trial in January for two counts of murder, however the prosecution dropped those charges following psychological and psychiatric reports.
Mallin, also of Fernways, Cecil Road, Ilford, had previously pleaded guilty to manslaughter on January 4.
He has been remanded in custody at Belmarsh prison.
You may also want to watch:
There are various options for sentence, including an indefinite jail term or a hospital order.
See the Recorder website later today for a full report.
- 1 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 2 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 3 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 4 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 5 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 6 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 7 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 8 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 9 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
- 10 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap