Man, 51, faces jail for Ilford sheltered housing double stabbing
- Credit: Met Police
A 51-year-old man, who stabbed to death his ex-girlfriend and her new partner in Ilford last year, will be sentenced at the Old Bailey today.
Paul Mallin killed Karen Reid, 53, and John Down, 86, at the Fernways sheltered housing unit where they all lived on September 5.
He was due on trial in January for two counts of murder, however the prosecution dropped those charges following psychological and psychiatric reports.
Mallin, also of Fernways, Cecil Road, Ilford, had previously pleaded guilty to manslaughter on January 4.
He has been remanded in custody at Belmarsh prison.
You may also want to watch:
There are various options for sentence, including an indefinite jail term or a hospital order.
See the Recorder website later today for a full report.
- 1 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 2 Funeral service for 'giant of Aldborough Hatch' Ron Jeffries to be streamed on Facebook
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Charge! New fleet of electric vehicles for Redbridge Council
- 5 Chigwell school puts pupils' baking skills to the test
- 6 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 7 Spiritual Life: What next for the great Hindu temples of Redbridge?
- 8 'Scrapping Universal Credit uplift will lead to poverty', MP says
- 9 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 10 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients