London Bridge attack: Terrorist reportedly lived in Ilford since 2015

Police searching a house on Fairfield Road in Ilford in the wake of the London terror attacks. Picture: Ken Mears

Police searching a house on Fairfield Road in Ilford in the wake of the London terror attacks. Picture: Ken Mears - Credit: Archant

The third London Bridge terrorist to be identified, Youssef Zaghba, is thought to have lived in Ilford.

A screen grab showing the JustGiving acount. Photo Ellena Cruse

A screen grab showing the JustGiving acount. Photo Ellena Cruse - Credit: Archant

In a screen shot seen by the Recorder the 22-year-old attacker set up a Just Giving page last year to raise money for new trainers.

The post listed his address as Ilford.

The Recorder has also viewed a LinkedIn account which stated Ilford was Zaghba’s place of residence, and revealed that he worked in a restaurant at a London Marriott hotel.

National press have said that the terrorist lived in the borough, with The Times saying he reportedly lived in Ilford since 2015 when he moved from Italy.

Youssef Zaghba. Picture Met Police

Youssef Zaghba. Picture Met Police - Credit: Archant


You may also want to watch:


Zaghba along with Khuram Butt, 27, and Rachid Redouane, 30, killed seven people and injured 48 in an attack in central London on Saturday.

They drove a van into pedestrians on the pavement at London Bridge, before attacking people with knives by Borough Market.

Most Read

All three were shot by armed police.

UK authorities are now facing questions over how Zaghba was let into Britain despite reportedly being on a security watch list.

Press Association has reported he had been flagged to British intelligence services after telling Italian police “I’m going to be a terrorist”, when he was stopped from travelling to Syria.

Italian prosecutor Giuseppe Amato said there was not enough evidence to charge Zaghba when he was stopped in Bologna airport last year, but British security services were informed.

Two Ilford properties have been raided by police investigating the London Bridge attack over the last two days.

Today a 30-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of terrorist offences, and taken to a south London police station.

Detectives continue to search the property.

Another address in Ilford was raided by police at 1.30am on Tuesday.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter