London Bridge attack: Police search second address in Ilford
- Credit: Archant
A road in Ilford has been cordoned off as officers from the Met Police’s Counter Terrorism Command investigating the London Bridge terror attack search a property.
Officers from the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command, supported by the Territorial Support Group, entered the building at 1.30am.
A Recorder reporter is now at the scene as police have set up a cordon around a house in Christchurch Road, Ilford,
An 18-year-old eyewitness who lives along the road said she heard a loud bang in the middle of the night.
She said: “There was a loud bang on the door and it woke us up.
You may also want to watch:
“There was about 10 police officers armed with batons outside and three police vans.
“There wasn’t too much noise except when they entered the house.
- 1 Owner who posted video of his restaurant defying Covid rules loses licence
- 2 Ilford man raises awareness of 'life-saving' gadget after dad's death
- 3 South Woodford post office to close in the spring
- 4 Fire breaks out at care home under renovation in Newbury Park
- 5 South Woodford flat 'has parties several times a week during lockdown'
- 6 Have you seen this 17-year-old missing from Wanstead?
- 7 Plans for 66ft 5G mast in Goodmayes alarms residents
- 8 Woman had phone stolen at knife-point in Woodford Green
- 9 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 10 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
“I wasn’t scared, just surprised.”
This search was in connection with Saturday’s attack where Youssef Zaghba, 22, Khuram Butt, 27, and Rachid Redouane, 30, killed seven and injured many others.
They drove a van into pedestrians on the pavement at London Bridge, before attacking people with knives by Borough Market.
All three were shot dead by the security services.
It is understood that Zaghba, a Italian national of Moroccan descent, was an Ilford resident.
Yesterday an address in Fairfield Road, Ilford, was raided by police, and a cordon was in place for most of the day.
It is unknown whether this is Zaghba’s address, or connected with the property raided by officers this morning.
The other two attackers lived in nearby Barking.