Licence of Krystel Banqueting in Ilford revoked following shooting
The licence of an Ilford bar which was the scene of a shooting following a drunken brawl has been revoked.
Mohibul Hoque, of Canterbury Avenue, Ilford last night saw the licence for his Krystel Banqueting venue in High Road, Ilford, revoked by Redbridge Council.
A 22-year-old man was shot in the chest on Krystel’s dancefloor on February 26.
A police spokesman said the victim is now in a stable condition in hospital.
An interim order suspending the licence was put in place to prevent any further violent retaliation at the venue, with Operation Trident Gang Crime Command officers investigating possible gang connections to the shooting.
You may also want to watch:
Following a hearing at Redbridge Town Hall last night, the borough’s licensing sub-committee, chaired by Cllr Ruth Clark, a Conservative councillor for Aldborough ward, decided there had been a “complete failure of management and of management control.”
Having heard evidence from the Met Police, who applied for the licence to be revoked; the council’s community safety team, who supported the application; and Mr Hoque and his legal representative, the committee was satisfied that CCTV at Krystel had not been working since February 2011.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 3 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 4 ‘Hard to comprehend’: MPs react as Sir David Amess dies after stabbing
- 5 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 6 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 7 Six cars damaged and lamppost felled in late-night Loxford crash
- 8 Sikh volunteer group hands out food to celebrate International Langar Week
- 9 Five veggie-friendly restaurants in Redbridge, courtesy of TripAdvisor
- 10 Police warn of 'violence, urination' as takeaway applies for late licence
It also ruled that Mr Hoque had lied to police about the CCTV following the shooting and said he had not taken adequate steps to ensure the premises “complied with licensing objectives”.
Mr Hoque hired the venue to a third-party for a birthday celebration on the night of the shooting and Mr Hoque told the committee last night he was unaware that tickets were being sold to it.
The victim was in a group of six men who fought inside Krystel before the shooting.
The judgement, read out by the council’s legal representative Stuart Walker, said: “The committee could not be satisfied that crime and disorder would not recur.
“They found during the course of the licence, substantial and ongoing failings by the licensee.”
Robert Sutherland, representing Mr Hoque at the meeting, suggested the licence, which allowed the sale of alcohol and entertainment to 3am on weekends, be brought back to midnight.
He said: “Mr Hoque can’t turn back the clock and I’m sure if he could, the event wouldn’t have occurred.
“In the operation of the licence, I would say there have been no complaints of crime and disorder.”
A doorman was also shot at Krystel 14 months ago but was not seriously hurt.
The venue has often been used for Muslim and Sikh weddings but had also frequently been booked out to third-parties for nightclub-style events.
Events not requiring a licence, for example those without the sale of alcohol, can still take place at Krystel.
Mr Hoque has 21 days to appeal the decision through the magistrates’ courts.