Learner driver from Ilford is jailed after leading police on 80mph chase before crashing

A 20-year-old learner driver from Ilford led police on an 80mph chase before smashing into a squad car and a black cab.

Moses Preddie, of Coventry Road, took keys to a car that wasn’t his, drove at night without his headlights on and continued driving even after his tyres had burst, Snaresbrook Crown Court heard.

Preddie, who had been released on licence from prison for drug and weapon offences, was jailed for a year at the court today.

He managed to avoid two stinger traps before he crashed and had to be tasered twice before being arrested.

Judge Alan Pardoe said: “Your aim throughout was to escape apprehension, there was no other motive.”

Preddie and another man had earlier been spotted outside the Mother Club, also known as the 333 club, in Old Street, east London, watching another couple argue.

They were then seen on CCTV heading towards a silver Peugeot 107 where it was claimed they armed themselves with weapons.

Most Read

Officers chased them along Hoxton Street before Preddie got into the car and speed off, the court heard.

The chase lasted 20 minutes before Preddie smashed into the police car in Woolwich Manor Way, Beckton.

The judge said: “The speeds you reached were between 70 and 80 miles an hour.

“You knew that you were being pursued by police vehicles, they were flashing lights and sirens.

“You pursued your way at these speeds, there were parts when your headlights were not illuminated.

“You drove across a red traffic light, causing a lorry to swerve.”

Preddie has since been recalled to prison.

He admitted one count of dangerous driving and one of aggravated vehicle taking.

He was jailed for 12 months for the first count, to run concurrently to a six month sentence for the second.

Last month he was cleared of possessing a firearm and ammunition with intent to endanger life, possessing a prohibited firearm, possessing ammunition without a firearms certificate, and having an offensive weapon.

A jury also found him not guilty of possessing a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence.