Council leader running to be Labour’s prospective MP for Ilford South
- Credit: Archant
The Leader of Redbridge Council is running to be Labour’s prospective MP for Ilford South.
Councillor Jas Athwal announced he was putting himself forward on Friday, August 16. Speaking to the Recorder he said: "I have lived here for the last 49 years and been a council leader for the last five.
"While there are things we need to do locally, some of the issues and problems we face can only be resolved nationally.
"Sometimes when something needs to be done you need to roll up your sleeves and do it yourself.
"I want to represent the people of Ilford South and get the job done."
Cllr Athwal also said he would "really appreciate" the community's support and is encouraging residents of Ilford South to get in touch with him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
"Ilford is my home, you are my neighbours and together we can really make a difference," he added.
- 1 Covid survivor, 16, urges people to get jabbed after months in hospital
- 2 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 3 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 4 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 5 Nine rescue pets looking for homes this Christmas in east London
- 6 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 7 Masks, PCR tests and boosters: New measures to combat Omicron variant
- 8 All under 40s to be offered Covid booster jab
- 9 Call for witnesses after man, 54, dies following Eastern Avenue collision
- 10 Long-life food, foil and credit: Readers' tips for saving money this winter
The Labour Party opened its selection process on Thursday, August 15.