Council leader running to be Labour’s prospective MP for Ilford South
- Credit: Archant
The Leader of Redbridge Council is running to be Labour’s prospective MP for Ilford South.
Councillor Jas Athwal announced he was putting himself forward on Friday, August 16. Speaking to the Recorder he said: "I have lived here for the last 49 years and been a council leader for the last five.
"While there are things we need to do locally, some of the issues and problems we face can only be resolved nationally.
"Sometimes when something needs to be done you need to roll up your sleeves and do it yourself.
"I want to represent the people of Ilford South and get the job done."
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Athwal also said he would "really appreciate" the community's support and is encouraging residents of Ilford South to get in touch with him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
"Ilford is my home, you are my neighbours and together we can really make a difference," he added.
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 3 'A race against time' - 18,000 people in Redbridge have received Covid jab
- 4 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 5 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 6 Little Gearies development plans pass following hours of discussion over Barkingside estate
- 7 Political fight as council shifts money away from opposition party
- 8 Seven Kings novelist among winners of London Writers Awards
- 9 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Fly-tipping initiative at Redbridge Council up for national award
The Labour Party opened its selection process on Thursday, August 15.