Jogger killed by car during morning run was ‘tremendous and talented athlete’
- Credit: Archant
A jogger who has died after being hit by a car during a run has been named by friends as mother-of-two Alex Weatherley.
Mrs Weatherley was tragically killed in the crash just after 8am on Sunday at Chigwell Rise, Chigwell.
She was pronounced dead at the scene after being struck by a car which then collided with a tree.
Karate instructor Rod Butler, of Shotokan Karate club, paid tribute to Mrs Weatherley, who lived in Woodford Green.
He wrote on Facebook: “Today, we lost one of our members in a tragic and fatal accident. Not just a club member but the wife of Dominic and the mother of two wonderful sons.
You may also want to watch:
“She was also a tremendous and talented athlete who had the most wonderful sense of humour.
“Generous of heart and always giving to others, Alex Weatherley will be greatly missed by us all for her sense of fun and the laughter she so generously spread to all she new.
- 1 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 2 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
- 3 Almost 250 homes without internet in Goodmayes after car accident takes out telecoms box
- 4 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 5 Surplus of primary school places now but shortage expected within 10 years
- 6 Redevelopment plans likely to be approved despite 144 objections
- 7 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 8 Double murder arrest as dramatic footage shows police detaining woman
- 9 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 10 CCTV still issued of man sought in 'vicious and unprovoked' attack in broad daylight in Barkingside supermarket
“We will all do our best to support Dominic, Ethan and Orlando during the difficult weeks and months ahead.”
Essex Police are appealing for information following the crash on Sunday morning, which involved a blue Skoda.
Passengers in the vehicle were treated for slight injuries and the 18-year-old driver was arrested in connection with the crash.
He was bailed until September 5 pending further enquiries.
The road was closed for five hours while initial forensic investigations were carried out.
Witnesses or anyone with information about events leading to the incident should contact the Essex Police Serious Collision Investigation Unit on 101 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Did you know Alex Weatherley? Share your tributes by emailing email@example.com.