Jogger killed by car during morning run was ‘tremendous and talented athlete’
- Credit: Archant
A jogger who has died after being hit by a car during a run has been named by friends as mother-of-two Alex Weatherley.
Mrs Weatherley was tragically killed in the crash just after 8am on Sunday at Chigwell Rise, Chigwell.
She was pronounced dead at the scene after being struck by a car which then collided with a tree.
Karate instructor Rod Butler, of Shotokan Karate club, paid tribute to Mrs Weatherley, who lived in Woodford Green.
He wrote on Facebook: “Today, we lost one of our members in a tragic and fatal accident. Not just a club member but the wife of Dominic and the mother of two wonderful sons.
“She was also a tremendous and talented athlete who had the most wonderful sense of humour.
“Generous of heart and always giving to others, Alex Weatherley will be greatly missed by us all for her sense of fun and the laughter she so generously spread to all she new.
- 1 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 2 Two people arrested following Ilford drugs lab bust
- 3 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 4 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 5 Boy, 2, injured after 'dog attack' at funfair
- 6 Labour wins Mayfield seats in delayed election
- 7 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 8 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 9 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 10 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
“We will all do our best to support Dominic, Ethan and Orlando during the difficult weeks and months ahead.”
Essex Police are appealing for information following the crash on Sunday morning, which involved a blue Skoda.
Passengers in the vehicle were treated for slight injuries and the 18-year-old driver was arrested in connection with the crash.
He was bailed until September 5 pending further enquiries.
The road was closed for five hours while initial forensic investigations were carried out.
Witnesses or anyone with information about events leading to the incident should contact the Essex Police Serious Collision Investigation Unit on 101 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Did you know Alex Weatherley? Share your tributes by emailing email@example.com.