Jogger killed by car during morning run was ‘tremendous and talented athlete’
- Credit: Archant
A jogger who has died after being hit by a car during a run has been named by friends as mother-of-two Alex Weatherley.
Mrs Weatherley was tragically killed in the crash just after 8am on Sunday at Chigwell Rise, Chigwell.
She was pronounced dead at the scene after being struck by a car which then collided with a tree.
Karate instructor Rod Butler, of Shotokan Karate club, paid tribute to Mrs Weatherley, who lived in Woodford Green.
He wrote on Facebook: “Today, we lost one of our members in a tragic and fatal accident. Not just a club member but the wife of Dominic and the mother of two wonderful sons.
You may also want to watch:
“She was also a tremendous and talented athlete who had the most wonderful sense of humour.
“Generous of heart and always giving to others, Alex Weatherley will be greatly missed by us all for her sense of fun and the laughter she so generously spread to all she new.
- 1 Sadiq Khan comes to Redbridge ahead of London elections
- 2 Man airlifted to hospital after Gants Hill house fire
- 3 Residents complain their Ilford street now 'full of crime'
- 4 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 5 Four further arrests in connection with Sven Badzak stabbing
- 6 Loxford and Seven Kings by-election candidates make case for your vote
- 7 Consultation launches on plans to move preschool and open excluded pupils facility at youth centre
- 8 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 9 Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer visits Redbridge on campaign trail
“We will all do our best to support Dominic, Ethan and Orlando during the difficult weeks and months ahead.”
Essex Police are appealing for information following the crash on Sunday morning, which involved a blue Skoda.
Passengers in the vehicle were treated for slight injuries and the 18-year-old driver was arrested in connection with the crash.
He was bailed until September 5 pending further enquiries.
The road was closed for five hours while initial forensic investigations were carried out.
Witnesses or anyone with information about events leading to the incident should contact the Essex Police Serious Collision Investigation Unit on 101 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Did you know Alex Weatherley? Share your tributes by emailing email@example.com.