Illegal workers are target of Ilford Lane enforcement action day
- Credit: Archant
Police, immigration and customs officers descended on Ilford Lane earlier today (Tuesday) grilling workers and shoppers in a joint crack down.
The operation was part of the third Redbridge Action Day, bringing enforcement officers from different areas together to do a surprise sweep of problem areas in the borough.
Around 20 council staff and customs officers in high-visibility jackets visited businesses along Ilford Lane, starting with Quality Food supermarket at around midday, grilling shoppers and workers about their immigration and visa statuses.
Neighbourhood police from Redbridge were there to support the operation, along with the immigration team.
The team then visited Taraq Halal Meat, further down Ilford Lane, to check details were in order.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Benbow, enforcement lead at the council, said: “This is probably even more involved than we’ve had in previous operations.
“This area needs businesses to flourish and they all need to be safe and compliant.
- 1 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 2 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 3 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 4 95pc of children get place at first or second choice primary school
- 5 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 6 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 7 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 8 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 9 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 10 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
“As you can imagine, business owners are concerned [when we visit their shops].
“If they are trading legally they have nothing to worry about.
“We offer a lot more support than we do enforcement – we are reasonable.”
“If you deal with the little things, the big things take care of themselves – these aren’t little, but it’s all areas of enforcement that improve the area.”
See Thursday’s Recorder for our full exclusive report from the action day.