Ilford whizz kid to mingle with the stars at House of Commons award gala
An Ilford whizz kid will mingle with the stars at a House of Commons gala on Wednesday after being nominated for an achievement award.
Adedapo Adelekan, of Perth Road, Ilford, is in the running for the London Schools and the Black Child Academic Achievement Awards.
Valentines High School student Adedapo got 10 A*s and four As in his GCSEs, some of which he took early.
The awards, hosted by Hackney MP Diane Abbott, aim to highlight high-achieving black students.
Ms Abbott said: “The evening is about celebrating high achieving black students in London, who are so often overlooked, giving them the recognition they deserve and the tools to go forward to successful careers.”
You may also want to watch:
Stars including Sir Trevor McDonald, rapper Wretch 32 and Olympic champion Christine Ohuruogu are expected to attend the evening.
- 1 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 2 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 5 Ilford MP Wes Streeting is cancer-free after successful operation
- 6 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 7 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 8 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 9 Tributes paid to Seven Kings activist who 'always fought injustice'
- 10 Women use experiences to offer safety insights about Redbridge