Ilford South MP Mike Gapes in hospital following emergency surgery
- Credit: Archant
Mike Gapes has been taken to hospital after suffering “chest pains” on Saturday, and remains there having undergone emergency surgery.
The Ilford South MP’s office told the Recorder: “Mike had some chest pains on Friday night and he went into hospital early Saturday morning.
“He has had surgery and is now recovering.”
They could not give any more details about why the Labour MP was taken to hospital.
Ilford North MP Wes Streeting said: “We are wishing Mike a speedy recovery and I am sure he will be back in no time.”
You may also want to watch:
It is unknown whether Mr Gapes will be able to vote on a possible motion to extend British bombing of Islamic State to Syria later this week.
Mr Gapes had indicated on Twitter that he supported the motion and would vote with the government.
- 1 95pc of children get place at first or second choice primary school
- 2 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 3 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 4 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 5 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 6 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 7 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 8 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 9 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 10 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
The 63-year-old has been MP for Ilford South since 1992, winning 64 per cent of the vote in May’s general election.
The Recorder wishes Mr Gapes a speedy recovery.
Labour’s London Mayoral candidate Sadiq Khan, the Redbridge Conservative Party and Walthamstow MP Stella Creasy all wished Mr Gapes well on Twitter.