Ilford South MP Mike Gapes in hospital following emergency surgery
- Credit: Archant
Mike Gapes has been taken to hospital after suffering “chest pains” on Saturday, and remains there having undergone emergency surgery.
The Ilford South MP’s office told the Recorder: “Mike had some chest pains on Friday night and he went into hospital early Saturday morning.
“He has had surgery and is now recovering.”
They could not give any more details about why the Labour MP was taken to hospital.
Ilford North MP Wes Streeting said: “We are wishing Mike a speedy recovery and I am sure he will be back in no time.”
It is unknown whether Mr Gapes will be able to vote on a possible motion to extend British bombing of Islamic State to Syria later this week.
Mr Gapes had indicated on Twitter that he supported the motion and would vote with the government.
- 1 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 2 Mercato Metropolitano to host taster market in Ilford
- 3 Thief threatened woman with bottle at Ilford High Road Sainsbury's Local
- 4 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 5 Call for witnesses after man, 54, dies following Eastern Avenue collision
- 6 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 7 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 8 Covid-19: How Redbridge's current figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 9 Which Underground lines are affected today
- 10 Festivities planned to mark Ilford's Christmas lights switch-on
The 63-year-old has been MP for Ilford South since 1992, winning 64 per cent of the vote in May’s general election.
The Recorder wishes Mr Gapes a speedy recovery.
Labour’s London Mayoral candidate Sadiq Khan, the Redbridge Conservative Party and Walthamstow MP Stella Creasy all wished Mr Gapes well on Twitter.