Ilford South MP Mike Gapes in hospital following emergency surgery
- Credit: Archant
Mike Gapes has been taken to hospital after suffering “chest pains” on Saturday, and remains there having undergone emergency surgery.
The Ilford South MP’s office told the Recorder: “Mike had some chest pains on Friday night and he went into hospital early Saturday morning.
“He has had surgery and is now recovering.”
They could not give any more details about why the Labour MP was taken to hospital.
Ilford North MP Wes Streeting said: “We are wishing Mike a speedy recovery and I am sure he will be back in no time.”
You may also want to watch:
It is unknown whether Mr Gapes will be able to vote on a possible motion to extend British bombing of Islamic State to Syria later this week.
Mr Gapes had indicated on Twitter that he supported the motion and would vote with the government.
- 1 Young Citizen: Ilford student who assisted at crash campaigns for more first aid
- 2 Sam Tarry MP urges Sadiq Khan to block Goodmayes Tesco development
- 3 Barkingside man charged with intending to supply cannabis
- 4 Protestors decry 'privatisation' of NHS outside Loxford Practice
- 5 'I convened a meeting for residents and businesses in the York Road area'
- 6 Charity urges council to tackle alleged Ilford Lane anti-social behaviour
- 7 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 8 Redbridge issued more than 2,800 Blue Badge fines in 2020, data shows
- 9 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 10 Council leader urges government to fund flood prevention measures
The 63-year-old has been MP for Ilford South since 1992, winning 64 per cent of the vote in May’s general election.
The Recorder wishes Mr Gapes a speedy recovery.
Labour’s London Mayoral candidate Sadiq Khan, the Redbridge Conservative Party and Walthamstow MP Stella Creasy all wished Mr Gapes well on Twitter.