Ilford South MP Mike Gapes in hospital following emergency surgery
- Credit: Archant
Mike Gapes has been taken to hospital after suffering “chest pains” on Saturday, and remains there having undergone emergency surgery.
The Ilford South MP’s office told the Recorder: “Mike had some chest pains on Friday night and he went into hospital early Saturday morning.
“He has had surgery and is now recovering.”
They could not give any more details about why the Labour MP was taken to hospital.
Ilford North MP Wes Streeting said: “We are wishing Mike a speedy recovery and I am sure he will be back in no time.”
You may also want to watch:
It is unknown whether Mr Gapes will be able to vote on a possible motion to extend British bombing of Islamic State to Syria later this week.
Mr Gapes had indicated on Twitter that he supported the motion and would vote with the government.
- 1 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Chadwell Heath academy
- 2 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 3 Police and council join forces to help raise Covid awareness
- 4 Derelict pavilion in Goodmayes Park destroyed by fire
- 5 Council must pay £4,500 for failing disabled brothers
- 6 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 7 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 8 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
- 9 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 10 Royal Mail lists six Redbridge postcodes hit by Covid postal delays
The 63-year-old has been MP for Ilford South since 1992, winning 64 per cent of the vote in May’s general election.
The Recorder wishes Mr Gapes a speedy recovery.
Labour’s London Mayoral candidate Sadiq Khan, the Redbridge Conservative Party and Walthamstow MP Stella Creasy all wished Mr Gapes well on Twitter.