Ilford South MP Mike Gapes in hospital following emergency surgery
- Credit: Archant
Mike Gapes has been taken to hospital after suffering “chest pains” on Saturday, and remains there having undergone emergency surgery.
The Ilford South MP’s office told the Recorder: “Mike had some chest pains on Friday night and he went into hospital early Saturday morning.
“He has had surgery and is now recovering.”
They could not give any more details about why the Labour MP was taken to hospital.
Ilford North MP Wes Streeting said: “We are wishing Mike a speedy recovery and I am sure he will be back in no time.”
It is unknown whether Mr Gapes will be able to vote on a possible motion to extend British bombing of Islamic State to Syria later this week.
Mr Gapes had indicated on Twitter that he supported the motion and would vote with the government.
- 1 Boy, 2, injured after 'dog attack' at funfair
- 2 Ilford man has van crushed, given curfew for Barking and Dagenham fly-tips
- 3 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 4 Lightbulb likely cause of Khartoum Road house fire
- 5 Commission ends safeguarding probe into charity
- 6 VOTE: Which east London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 7 Met investigates cause of Mossford Green cemetery blaze
- 8 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in east London
- 9 5 of the best things to do with kids in east London
- 10 Caught on camera: 6 wanted fly-tippers and litterbugs
The 63-year-old has been MP for Ilford South since 1992, winning 64 per cent of the vote in May’s general election.
The Recorder wishes Mr Gapes a speedy recovery.
Labour’s London Mayoral candidate Sadiq Khan, the Redbridge Conservative Party and Walthamstow MP Stella Creasy all wished Mr Gapes well on Twitter.