Ilford shooting: Murder hunt after man is shot dead in the street
- Credit: Twiter Boy
A murder hunt has been launched after a 19-year-old man was gunned down in Ilford late last night.
The victim was shot in Ilford Lane shortly after 10pm and died at the scene an hour later, despite efforts by paramedics to save his life.
Two gunshots were heard by witnesses near the junction of Bedford Road.
Detectives believe the man was sitting in a car when he was shot.
CCTV footage from a nearby business shows two cars pull up and a man kick one of the doors closed, however it is unknown if this is linked.
You may also want to watch:
Police later cordoned off the crime scene and diverted buses.
The cordon was still in place early this morning as homicide detectives combed the area.
- 1 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 2 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 3 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 4 Nine Redbridge parks retain Green Flag Award status
- 5 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 6 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 7 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 8 Anti-hate crime workshops to be delivered in Redbridge
- 9 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 10 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
Police were called by the London Ambulance Service who found the man unconscious, Scotland Yard confirmed this morning.
“The man was suffering from a gunshot wound,” a police spokesman said.
“Paramedics treated him, but he was pronounced dead at the scene at 11.22pm.”
Cllr Khayer Chowdhury, who was travelling past Ilford Lane last night, said you could tell instantly something bad had happened.
“The whole road was covered with flashing lights. When I had the sad news this morning it made sense.
“It is deeply shocking that such an incident has taken place on our streets, literally outside people’s houses.
“A tragic loss of life at the hands of another gunman. What we are witnessing in London is a stabbing and shooting crime epidemic.”
A 45-year-old resident who has lived in Bedford Road for seven years said: “I can’t believe it, it’s so close to home.
“I didn’t hear anything, I only realised when the ambulance arrived. This is normally a very quiet area
The family of the man have not yet been informed of his death, according to police.
There have been no arrests, but police are appealing for anyone who was in or around Ilford Lane last night, or anyone with information, to contact them on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800-555111.
Did you see anything? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.