Ilford restaurant owner fined more than �7k after mice infestation
An Ilford restaurant owner was fined more than �7,000 in court yesterday after being found responsible for a mice infestation that left diners at a serious risk of food poisoning.
Batir Miah, 40, of Mighell Avenue, admitted seven offences against food hygiene regulations.
Snaresbrook Crown Court heard that Miah’s Indian restaurant, Muhib Indian Cuisine, in Brick Lane, Tower Hamlets, had “no area in the kitchen or basement that was free from the presence of mice”.
Three rotting mice at various stages of decomposition were discovered on a trap and a cockroach was found in the kitchen when environmental health officers did a routine spot check in April 2011.
Droppings were found in vegetable containers and a cleaning store, the court heard.
You may also want to watch:
The restaurant was shut down almost immediately after the inspection. It was owned by Rayhill Limited, of which Miah was a director.
Miah, a father of four, was forced to work as a waiter after the company went into liquidation.
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 5 Walk-in Covid vaccinations on offer at Valentines Park health fair
- 6 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 7 Goodmayes racer Alex Lynn and title leader Sam Bird preview London E-Prix
- 8 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 9 Dispersal order issued ahead of fears over ‘illegal music events’
- 10 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
Prosecutor Archie Maddan said Miah received notices in November 2010 and March 2011 warning him his housekeeping must improve.
Defending, Brian Richardson told the court Miah was away in Birmingham at the time of the inspection and had left two staff in charge of the restaurant.
Mr Richardson said Miah had spent around �10,000 trying to rectify the problem but could not revive the business after bad publicity.
He added: “There have been no complaints from members of the public.”
Miah was ordered to pay �7,015.