Jailed: Hackney thugs who attacked two men outside an Ilford nightclub with machetes and metal poles

Dogus Kaynakkan and Kwame Kwateng. Photo: Met Police

Dogus Kaynakkan and Kwame Kwateng. Photo: Met Police - Credit: Archant

Two Hackney thugs who dragged two men from their car and attacked them with machetes and metal poles outside an Ilford nightclub have been jailed for a total of 11 years between them.

Dogus Kaynakkan, 20, of Meadow Close, was sentenced to nine years in prison last Thursday (July 26) after being found guilty violent disorder and possession of an offensive weapon at Snaresbrook Crown Court.

He also pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm with ammunition and possession of Class A drugs with intent to supply.

Kwame Kwateng, 23, from Lindisfarne Way, was sentenced to two years and eight months after he pleaded guilty to violent disorder and obstruction of a drugs search.

Kaynakkan and Kwateng launched the violent and unprovoked attack on two unsuspecting men in Thompson Close, Ilford, shorlty after leaving a nearby nightclub.

You may also want to watch:

CCTV footage shows the pair dragging the victims, aged 29 and 24, from their car.

A balaclava-clad Kaynakkan is seen to be wielding a machete while Kwateng armed himself with a metal pole during the attack.

Most Read

Kaynakkan strikes out at the head of a fleeing victim with the machete.

Officers arrested Kaynakkan on October 11, 2017 and charged him the same day with robbery, possession of a firearm with ammunition and possession of Class A drugs with intent to supply.

A gun and large quantities of heroin and cocaine were found at his home.

Kwateng was also arrested at his home address on October 11, 2017.

He was charged the next day with robbery and obstructing a drugs search and was remanded into custody.

Detective Constable Marcus Snook, of the Met’s Trident and Area Crime Command, said: “This was a shocking act of violence committed against two unsuspecting and unarmed victims.

“Kaynakkan and Kwateng are not only culpable for carrying out this violent attack but also acted with complete disregard for the safety of other innocent members of the public in the area.

He added: “As can be seen from the CCTV footage, it is only by extreme good fortune that the victims did not sustain serious injuries as a result of the defendants’ actions.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter