Ilford Station murder: Public tried to save man, 20, stabbed to death
- Credit: Archant
An Ilford shopkeeper has spoken of the shocking moment a fight outside Ilford Station left a young man bleeding to death in the town centre.
The community is in shock after a young man was knifed to death in Ilford last night.
Police and paramedics were called to a man stabbed in Cranbrook Road at 8.48pm.
There they found a 20-year-old suffering serious stab injuries, who was pronounced dead at the scene less than half an hour later.
The shopkeeper, who does not wish to be named, told the Recorder he heard a fight between two men break out near the station as he was closing his store just yards away.
You may also want to watch:
“I ran over and saw a guy was lying on the floor – he was in a very bad condition” he said.
The man, who was wearing a black jacket and jeans, looked like he had been stabbed “hard in the chest”, he said.
- 1 Residents complain their Ilford street now 'full of crime'
- 2 Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer visits Redbridge on campaign trail
- 3 Sadiq Khan comes to Redbridge ahead of London elections
- 4 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 5 Loxford and Seven Kings by-election candidates make case for your vote
- 6 Consultation launches on plans to move preschool and open excluded pupils facility at youth centre
- 7 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 8 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 9 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 10 Redbridge parents' group donates more laptops to schools
He spoke of how two women and a station employee tried to perform CPR before police and paramedics arrived.
“By the time paramedics arrived he looked like he was already gone,” he added.
The attacker had disappeared before the shopkeeper arrived at the scene.
Met Police have launched a murder investigation and a crime scene remained in place as of Wednesday morning.
A forensic unit from Essex Police was also present at the scene this morning (February 27).
The victim’s next of kin has been informed and formal identification is underway.
“There has been no arrest at this stage,” a Met Police spokesman said.
“Any witnesses or anyone with information is urged to call police on 101, quoting ref 7377/feb26.
“To remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Ilford South MP Mike Gapes last night tweeted: “Shocked and saddened to hear of fatal stabbing of a young man in Cranbrook Road, near Ilford Station around 8.45 this evening.”
The front entrance to Ilford Station is currently closed while the crime scene remains in place.
An entrance at the back of the station has been opened.
The Cranbrook Road entrance to the Ilford Exchange shopping centre is also shut.
Customers hoping to use the car park should enter through Ley Street.