Ilford murder: Mum of Kelvin Chibueze demands answers over unlicensed club

Kelvin Chibueze

Kelvin Chibueze - Credit: Archant

The mother of a teenager murdered minutes after a brawl in an unlicensed nightclub, wants to know why the venue was open in the first place.

Tina Chibueze continues to be haunted by the events that led to the death of her son Kelvin in August 2011.

He was attending a birthday party at the 150-capacity Artifex club, High Road, Ilford, when a mass brawl broke out.

Knives, bar stools and bottles were brandished and Kelvin was stabbed.

He was attacked again nearby in the car park of Ilford Retail Park.

Tina told the Recorder: “Someone should be held responsible at the club – you don’t let a 17-year-old into a club. There was no security.

“It was all kept hush, hush at the trial.”

Most Read

Through her solicitor, the 46-year-old has seen a copy of the police’s report – prepared for the coroner – into Kelvin’s death.

But no mention of Artifex being unlicensed was made, she said.

The venue had been granted a number of one-off temporary events notices earlier in 2011.

The August 14 party was advertised on Artifex Promotion’s Facebook page, despite it being initially described as a private party by investigators.

Redbridge Council said the venue was closely monitored after the murder, and it assisted police in enforcement visits.

The council said a warning would usually be issued in the first instance, and criminal charges would follow if unlicensed activities continued. Adding that there was no evidence Artifex had previously opened without a licence, the spokesman said: “As it closed immediately following the incident, there were no further breaches to licensing and meant the council’s powers to take action were limited.”

The club is now closed and the building is a sandwich bar run by a new owner.

Tina said: “My son was not a saint but he didn’t deserve to die. If someone did their job, he wouldn’t have been there [at the club].”

Four men were jailed for a total of 93 years in December for Kelvin’s murder.

Redbridge Police did not respond to our questions.