MURDER: Man’s battered body found near burned out vehicle in Goodmayes car park
- Credit: Archant
A murder investigation has been launched after a man’s body found by a burned out car in Goodmayes.
Detectives are appealing today for witnesses after the 54-year-old man was found dead near the vehicle that had been destroyed by fire in a car park in Castleton Road, off Goodmayes Road, near Green Lane.
The Fire Brigade was first at the scene at 5.50am on Monday, less than a mile from Goodmayes Primary School, when they discovered the body and police were called in.
A post mortem examination yesterday gave cause of death as “blunt force trauma”.
An resident told the Recorder he woke up after hearing noises, and saw the victim lying almost naked next to the car.
You may also want to watch:
“I saw the car was burning,” he said.
“I was surprised because it had been there for a couple of months.
- 1 Man airlifted to hospital after Gants Hill house fire
- 2 Sadiq Khan comes to Redbridge ahead of London elections
- 3 Residents complain their Ilford street now 'full of crime'
- 4 Care home resident died after choking on sandwich, inquest hears
- 5 Four further arrests in connection with Sven Badzak stabbing
- 6 Meeting ex-banker London mayoral candidate Brian Rose
- 7 Community group's delight after Loxford Park pavilion saved
- 8 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 9 Loxford and Seven Kings by-election candidates make case for your vote
“There was a man lying near the car, he was dressed only in boxers. No one could get near the man because we were afraid that the car would explode.”
He said shortly afterwards the emergency services arrived.
Another neighbour said homeless people had been sleeping in the car park.
“For the last two months, a couple and a single man have been sleeping there.
“There’s been a lot of anti social behaviour in that area over the years.
“I’ve called the police repeatedly about people drinking and fighting there.”
Detectives from the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command are appealing for witnesses or anyone who saw anything suspicious in and around Castleton Road or nearby Green Lane on Sunday evening, into the early hours of Monday, to contact the incident room on 020-8345 3985, or police on 101 or @MetCC on Twitter.
Det Ch Insp Laurence Smith said: “Even if they think the information won’t be of use, I urge them to make contact and share that information with us.”
Information can also be given anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 or Crimestoppers online. No arrests have been made so far. Enquiries to trace and inform the man’s next of kin are ongoing, with formal identification not yet taken place.