Ilford murder: Hotel receptionist Magdalena Welna, 23, was ‘a wonderful person’
- Credit: Archant
Tributes have been paid to Magdalena Welna after she was murdered in a residential street on Friday evening.
The hotel receptionist, 23, was stabbed repeatedly and found in Valentines Road, Ilford, shortly after 5.30pm.
Scotland Yard also named 27-year-old Victor Banjo Ogundunmade, from Newham, who was found collapsed in nearby Auckland Road around 90 minutes after the stabbing. Mr Ogundunmade died shortly after arriving at hospital.
Police have said the pair knew each other.
Tarek Hassan, also a receptionist at the Rossmore Hotel, in Cranbrook Road, Ilford, had been working alongside Ms Welna for the last four months.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “She was full of life and was joking all the time, now the hotel is quiet.”
Hotel manager Bob Takhar praised Ms Welna, a Polish national, for her professional approach to her job .
- 1 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new café in Redbridge
- 4 Homebuilder steps back from proposals over rising projected costs
- 5 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 6 Valentines Park bench dedicated to couple described as 'pillars of community'
- 7 Ilford care home nominated for two national awards
- 8 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 9 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 10 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
“It has been a bit of a shock,” he said. “She was a really bright, intelligent girl. She was always punctual for work.
“A lot of the staff were on friendly terms with her in and outside work.
“She was a good all round person - a wonderful person.”
As a mark of respect Manors, the company which runs the Rossmore Hotel, closed on Saturday.
Staff have been allowed to take time off work to come to terms with the news.
Redbridge Deputy Borough Commander, Det Supt Mandy Beacher said: “Following the tragic events of Friday evening our thoughts are with the families of both Magdalena Welna and Victor Ogundunmade, who will be suffering at this most difficult time.
“We want to reassure all of our communities that this is an isolated incident which is being thoroughly investigated by officers from the Metropolitan Police Homicide Command.”
Det Supt Beacher added police were not looking for any one else in connection with the incident, which they re treating as murder.
Did you know Magdalena Welna or Victor Banjo Ogundunmade? Please call 0208 477 3821