Ilford man taken to hospital after chicken catches fire

A 59-year-old man who was cooking chicken yesterday morning was taken to hospital for a check up after it caught fire.

Firefighters were called to Daffodil Gardens, Ilford at about 7.40am after neighbours heard a smoke alarm sounding.

Crew manager Jon Henderson of Ilford Fire Station, High Road Ilford, said: “The smoke detector raised the alarm of the fire and saved him.”

Eight firefighters and two fire engines were sent to the scene.

A London Ambulance Service spokesman said they were called to the incident at 7.50am and took a man to Newham General Hospital.