Ilford man serving four years in Dubai jail to hear result of appeal today
- Credit: Archant
An Ilford man convicted of drugs offences in Dubai will hear the result of an appeal against his four-year prison sentence today.
Suneet Jeerh, of The Drive, was imprisoned with friends Grant Cameron and Karl Williams, both of Wanstead, last July after police claimed to find synthetic cannabis in their hire car.
The three men say they were tortured with electric shocks, beaten and threatened with guns by police in the desert after being arrested, and then in a hotel room.
Before their sentencing in April, prime minister David Cameron expressed his concern over allegations that the three men were tortured by the Dubai police.
The men claim they signed documents in Arabic – a language none of them understands – following their arrests after they were threatened with guns to their heads, the human rights charity Reprieve said.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Williams also reported having electric shocks administered to his testicles during the ordeal, the charity added.
The men denied all the charges.
- 1 95pc of children get place at first or second choice primary school
- 2 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 3 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 4 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 5 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 6 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 7 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 8 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 9 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 10 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation