Ilford man jailed after hammer attack on ex-girlfriend
- Credit: Archant
An Ilford man who attacked his ex-girlfriend with a hammer, fracturing her skull, has been jailed for eight and a half years.
Salim Ormanli, of Park Road, was sentenced at Woolwich Crown Court last month after he was found guilty of GBH with intent to endanger life.
Ormanli attacked the 29-year-old woman after she ended their four-month relationship. He broke into the victim’s home on July 2 and waited for her underneath her bed.
When she returned home, he hit her on the back of the head three times with the hammer before escaping.
The woman was taken to a south London hospital with life threatening injuries, but has since made a full recovery.
You may also want to watch:
Ormanli was arrested whilst driving in Enfield the following day. He told detectives he had acted in self-defence, but was charged on July 4 and was convicted on September 24.
Det Con Dan Cossins said: “This was an extremely violent attack, by Ormanli on his ex-partner, which could easily have resulted in tragedy. As it was, she received fractures to the skull and finger, but it could have been far worse.
- 1 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 2 95pc of children get place at first or second choice primary school
- 3 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 4 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 5 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 6 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 7 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 8 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 9 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 10 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap
“The attack was motivated by jealousy and he went to the victim’s address to cause her serious harm. His sentence will see him behind bars now for several years.
“I would appeal to anyone that is the victim of domestic abuse, to contact police. We are here to help and support you and we can and will take action to deal with those responsible.”