Ley Street stabbing: Ilford man convicted of attempted murder over brutal unprovoked attack
- Credit: Archant
A man who stabbed an Ilford newsagent around 30 times in an unprovoked, “stuff of nightmares” attack has been convicted of attempted murder.
Leon Scott, 41 of Drayton Close, Ilford was found guilty at the Old Bailey today (Thursday, October 18) and will be sentenced at a later date.
The court heard that the victim had been speaking to two people outside the shop where he worked - Ley Street Food and Wine - when he was suddenly attacked.
Scott, armed with two knives, stabbed the 31-year-old for several minutes and tried to cut his neck.
There were around 30 wounds and the incident was witnessed by several members of the public, including a mother with her young children.
You may also want to watch:
A brave father-of-one was walking down Ley Street on his way to work when he heard their screams for help.
He courageously ran across the road and stood in front of the attacker causing Scott to “casually walk off” towards the Jaffa Road Estate.
- 1 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 2 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 3 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Fireaway pizza branch to open in South Woodford
- 6 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 7 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
- 8 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 9 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 10 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
The father then administered first aid before the paramedics arrived.
The shop worker was taken to hospital in critical condition but survived.
He continues to suffer lasting nerve damage to his arm and psychological trauma.
“I am in so much pain and I can’t sleep,” he said in a victim impact statement provided to the court.
“I feel down, angry, depressed and I am scared to go out and I don’t feel safe in public.
“I think about the incident all the time. I don’t feel happy anymore, it feels like I lost everything. I have lost the will to live.”
The two knives used in the attack were recovered from the scene.
Scott was arrested a short time after the incident, and charged on November 28, 2017 with attempted murder.
Acting Det Srg Jeremy Collins, of East Area CID, said: “This was a frenzied attack which was unprovoked and came totally out of the blue. It was a random attack by all accounts.
“The level of violence used was absolutely shocking, and amongst the worst I have seen.
“The scene that unfolded that morning is the stuff of nightmares, and the victim has endured lasting physical injury and psychological trauma as a result.
“The victim was stabbed 30 times, and it is very fortunate that he was not killed. The member of the public who helped stop the attack deserves particular recognition.”
The detective said Scott was quickly identified and taken into custody and the dangerous offender never once showed any remorse