Ilford driving instructor punched in the face 15 times by children on bikes

Children damaged a learner driver car. Picture Butt

Children damaged a learner driver car. Picture Butt - Credit: Butt

An Ilford driving instructor was surrounded by “children on pushbikes” pelted with eggs and punched in the face 15 times.

An Ilford driving instructor says he was surrounded by children on bikes, pelted with eggs and punched in the face 15 times.

Naeem Butt, 58, was driving along Longbridge Road, Dagenham, when a youth on a bike jumped out in front of him on the road.

He said he was forced to brake to avoid an accident.

He then saw another child in his rear view mirror pull out behind his car.

“Out of nowhere” other children circled him and started to throw eggs through the open window into his passenger seat.

They also vandalised his car and broke his wing mirror.

Most Read

“Because of the weather my windows were down,” he told the Recorder.

“After they threw eggs in my car they started punching me in the face about 15 to 18 times.

“I was completely shocked.”

A resident witnessed the incident and called the police.

Mr Butt, whose main instruction routes are in Redbridge, went to hospital and was told he was “lucky” to walk away with only soft tissue damage.

“I have no idea why they did it, when they started punching me I didn’t know what to do,” he added.

“This is the second time it has happened to me in that area”.

During a similar incident a few months ago, Mr Butt was pelted with eggs and bottles while travelling in his driving instructor’s car.

He said he shouldn’t be worried about driving along that stretch of road both personally and for his livelihood and something needs to be done.

“I have a six-year-old daughter and I am worried to take her out in the car with me in case it happens when she is with me,” he said.

“The police took more than 12 hours to contact me and by that point all the kids had run off.

“I am wondering if I can rely on the police in future to defend me”

A Met Police spokesman confirmed that an incident on Monday, July 3 at 9pm was reported to them.

Police say they have made no arrest and have exhausted all avenues of inquiry.