Ilford Business Improvement District aiming for five more years as it wins £50k backing
A business group, which aims to make Ilford a safer place to work and shop, has been awarded £50,000 by the council.
The Ilford Business Improvement District (BID) has received a ringing endorsement from Redbridge Council, which has awarded the large grant to support the renewal vote process.
The ballot, which will be held in October/November will give businesses the opportunity to vote to back the BID for another five years from April 2014.
BID manager Ben Collins said: “This investment from the local authority demonstrates not only their commitment to help us enhance the town centre experience but also the esteem in which they hold the achievements of the BID to date.
“There is much more for the BID to do but rest assured we will be high profile and our activities will absolutely make a difference to both businesses and shoppers in the town centre.”
You may also want to watch:
The Ilford BID launched in April 2009 and has staged various events in the town centre including last summer’s 17 days of entertainment during the Olympics.
Cllr Thomas Chan, cabinet member for regeneration and property, said, “Having Business Improvement District status in Ilford has meant that nearly 500 businesses in the area have been able to invest and have a say in local initiatives.
- 1 Attempted murder arrest after woman seriously injured in Barkingside
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after elderly woman dies in Clayhall
- 3 Redbridge pubs gear up for outdoor opening
- 4 Criticism of 'comedy of errors' consultation for Wanstead flat extension plans
- 5 Plans submitted for more than 500 homes on former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 6 Prince Philip death: Redbridge pays tribute to Duke of Edinburgh
- 7 Plaistow man denies murdering two men in Goodmayes
- 8 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 9 Former Redbridge Council staffer charged with child sexual exploitation crimes in Australia
- 10 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
“In its time the BID has been responsible for a number of achievements including funding of the Town Centre Police Team, additional deep cleaning, planting schemes and events.”