Two teenagers arrested by armed police in Wanstead following car crash
- Credit: Michael Begley
Armed police officers chased and arrested two boys, aged 16 and 17, following a car crash last night.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman confirmed they were called shortly after 6pm to Holland Road, East Ham, amid reports of a group of men armed with a gun.
Officers, some of whom were carrying firearms, then identified a vehicle of interest nearby.
When the car did not stop for police it was pursued to Elmcroft Avenue, Wanstead where, at around 6:17pm, the car collided with a garden wall and a parked car.
The two teenagers were arrested nearby for firearms and driving offences.
You may also want to watch:
They have been taken to an east London police station where they remain in custody.
Enquiries continue to establish the number of men in the car and to trace any outstanding suspects.
- 1 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 2 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 3 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new café in Redbridge
- 4 Valentines Park bench dedicated to couple described as 'pillars of community'
- 5 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 6 Homebuilder steps back from proposals over rising projected costs
- 7 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 8 Ilford care home nominated for two national awards
- 9 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 10 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
No one was injured and the police have received no evidence of any shots being fired.
At this stage, no firearm has been recovered.
Did you see anything? Email Matthew.Clemenson@Archant.co.uk or call 0208 477 3957.