Sentencing adjourned for policeman who had sex with Redbridge schoolgirl
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
The sentencing of policeman who admitted having sex with a 14-year-old Redbridge schoolgirl has moved to Thursday.
Pc John Wigglesworth, 46, of The Ridgeway, Harold Wood, is facing the end of his career after pleading guilty to one count of sexual activity with a child and was due for sentencing at Snaresbrook Crown Court today.
Judge David Radford adjourned the proceedings after the prosecution counsel was unable to attend court due to illness.
At Wigglesworth’s trial last month, he was cleared of three counts of rape, and two further counts of engaging in sexual activity with a child.
Wigglesworth, a police officer for 18 years, admitted having consensual sex with the schoolgirl on one occasion at his home in Lynnett Road, Dagenham, in 2007.
You may also want to watch:
The policeman, who worked in Tower Hamlets, was arrested at his home in August last year.
The Metropolitan Police are currently conducting their own misconduct investigation.
- 1 East London police officer charged with rape
- 2 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 5 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 6 Roof damaged in Seven Kings house fire
- 7 Opera star Jonathan Antoine to return to the stage ahead of US tour
- 8 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
- 9 Redbridge ranked second most hygienic London borough for nightlife
- 10 Nine in ten Redbridge women report being subject to street harassment