Hainault man found guilty of murder after cutting his grandmother’s throat

He cut her throat and then calmly told staff what he had done. Picture: Essex Police

He cut her throat and then calmly told staff what he had done. Picture: Essex Police - Credit: Archant

A Hainault man who killed his grandmother after visiting her for a cup of tea has been convicted of murder.

Ruby Wilson, 94, died on Wednesday, November 29.

Ruby Wilson, 94, died on Wednesday, November 29. - Credit: Archant

Antony Jennings, 33, of Clinton Crescent, met up with Ruby Wilson at Forest Place Nursing Home in Roebuck Lane, Buckhurst Hill, on November 29, 2017.

After spending an hour talking with her, he cut her throat with a knife before calmly telling staff what he had done.

The police were called and officers found the 94-year-old in her room.

She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Jennings admitted killing her and told staff the knife he had used was in his rucksack.

He was arrested and charged with murder.

Most Read

He denied murder but admitted manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

He stood trial at Chelmsford Crown Court and the jury head that Jennings had wanted to kill Mrs Wilson, who had dementia, because he thought she was suffering.

He had a history of drug abuse and his mental health had deteriorated in recent years.

Jennings was found guilty of murder today, (Friday, October 5) and was sentenced to life in prison, to serve a minimum of 22 years.

Senior investigating officer Det Insp Julie Gowen, of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said the incident was a “sad and tragic case”.

“The events of November 29 have been devastating for the family of Ruby Wilson and Antony Jennings and this has been a tragedy from every angle,” she said.

“A jury has deemed that Jennings was not suffering from diminished responsibility at the time he took his grandmother’s life.

“It is accepted that Jennings had been diagnosed with a mental health condition and was suffering from paranoid schizophrenia at the time.

“But while there is empathy towards his mental health, he remains wholly responsible for Ruby’s death and went to the care home that day with the intent to end her life - this is something he will have to live with.”

The inspector said she thinks the 22-year sentence is an appropriate length for the incident.

“The family have requested their privacy is respected at this difficult time,” she added.