Hainault gun collector who bought lethal semi-automatic jailed for five years
A Hainault gun collector who bought a lethal semi-automatic weapon from a US website has been jailed for five years today.
Martin Roy, 48, claimed he was planning to shoot targets with the Steel Storm .177 inch airgun he ordered online.
The gun, which comes with 30 round cartridges, can be bought for just 80 US dollars from any number of American websites.
Father of two Roy, of New North Road, also bought an 800 MAG .22 inch calibre air pistol, also capable of causing lethal injuries and banned under the Firearms Act 1968, Snaresbrook Crown Court heard.
The guns were delivered to Roy’s ex-wife’s address after being intercepted by customs officials at Coventry Airport on April 13 last year.
When police searched the house in Shernhall Street, Walthamstow, they found a Titan GP .22 inch calibre air rifle which was classed as too dangerous to own without a firearms certificate.
They also discovered a US Combat 1911 6mm calibre airsoft pistol, designed to look just like a Colt self-loading pistol and illegal to import.
- 1 Man dies after being found unresponsive in Valentines Park
- 2 Air ambulance lands after man stabbed in South Woodford
- 3 Homes under the Planner: Applications approved or refused in Redbridge
- 4 Man denies committing GBH during alleged robbery at Barkingside Tesco
- 5 Guilty: Hainault man admits traffic light stabbing
- 6 Second Redbridge care home struck by fire caused by discarded cigarettes
- 7 Teen found guilty of robbing boy, 12, in Romford while carrying knife
- 8 Man collapses as two arrested following Cranbrook Road crash
- 9 Most wanted: 7 people sought in connection with 11 robberies across London
- 10 How many Covid patients are in hospital in east London this week?
Roy, who has difficulty walking after an industrial accident, was arrested on July 22 and claimed the guns were “just toys” and he did not know they were illegal.
Passing sentence, judge John Lafferty said he did not believe Belarus-born Roy had not known the weapons were illegal.
He said: “The firearm in count one is capable of discharging multiple missiles capable of causing lethal injury. The air pistol in count two is also capable of causing lethal injury. These are both extremely dangerous weapons.”
Roy admitted two counts of purchasing or acquiring an illegal weapon, one of possessing a firearm without a certificate and one of importing a realistic imitation firearm.