Hainault gun collector who bought lethal semi-automatic jailed for five years
A Hainault gun collector who bought a lethal semi-automatic weapon from a US website has been jailed for five years today.
Martin Roy, 48, claimed he was planning to shoot targets with the Steel Storm .177 inch airgun he ordered online.
The gun, which comes with 30 round cartridges, can be bought for just 80 US dollars from any number of American websites.
Father of two Roy, of New North Road, also bought an 800 MAG .22 inch calibre air pistol, also capable of causing lethal injuries and banned under the Firearms Act 1968, Snaresbrook Crown Court heard.
The guns were delivered to Roy’s ex-wife’s address after being intercepted by customs officials at Coventry Airport on April 13 last year.
You may also want to watch:
When police searched the house in Shernhall Street, Walthamstow, they found a Titan GP .22 inch calibre air rifle which was classed as too dangerous to own without a firearms certificate.
They also discovered a US Combat 1911 6mm calibre airsoft pistol, designed to look just like a Colt self-loading pistol and illegal to import.
- 1 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 2 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 3 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Fireaway pizza branch to open in South Woodford
- 6 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 7 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
- 8 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 9 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 10 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
Roy, who has difficulty walking after an industrial accident, was arrested on July 22 and claimed the guns were “just toys” and he did not know they were illegal.
Passing sentence, judge John Lafferty said he did not believe Belarus-born Roy had not known the weapons were illegal.
He said: “The firearm in count one is capable of discharging multiple missiles capable of causing lethal injury. The air pistol in count two is also capable of causing lethal injury. These are both extremely dangerous weapons.”
Roy admitted two counts of purchasing or acquiring an illegal weapon, one of possessing a firearm without a certificate and one of importing a realistic imitation firearm.