Green Lane shooting: Police believe ‘shots were fired from vehicle’
Police have been called to reports of a man shot in Goodmayes this morning.
A man in his 50s has been taken by London Ambulance Service to an east London hospital where he is in a critical condition after police were alerted at 5.49am following an incident in Green Lane.
Detectives believe that a number of shots were fired from a vehicle.
Police cordoned off the road between Goodmayes Road and Valence Avenue and advised people to avoid the area.
The road has now been reopened.
You may also want to watch:
Trident officers have launched an investigation and are currently in attendance.
A police statement read: “Enquiries continue to establish the full circumstances and officers retain an open mind as to any motive at this early stage.”
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 3 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 4 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 5 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 6 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 7 Labour's shadow cabinet reshuffle sees new role for Ilford North MP
- 8 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 9 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
A resident nearby, who did not want to be named, said he had heard the noise in the early hours of the morning.
He said: “It sounded like a firecracker, I thought ‘what’s that?’ – it didn’t sound like a gun to me.”
He added: “It’s not surprising around here.”
Another resident, who didn’t want to be named, said he heard “about four or five shots”.
He said: “I thought someone was playing with a toy gun, I looked outside and everything looked normal, I didn’t see anyone – it was quite odd.”
Mark Sherwood of Webb’s Garden Centre, Green Lane, said: “Nothing major has happened around here for a while, the last thing I heard about was a stabbing here years ago.”
Steve Waldock of B&J Tyres & Exhausts, Green Lane, said: “It’s not really surprising at all that something like this has happened here.”
No arrests have yet been made.
Police are urging anyone with information to call Trident officers on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Did you see what happened? Email firstname.lastname@example.org