Permission to keep suspected Islamist terror suspects in custody for longer is granted
- Credit: Archant
Counter terrorism police have been given permission to carry on detaining four people who were arrested over suspected terror offences.
Two men aged 27 and 31 were arrested along with a 17 year old boy on Thursday, July 9, during a series of raids in east London including one in Green Lane near Goodmayes Park.
A fourth suspect aged 32 was arrested in Leicestershire.
A Met Police spokesperson said: “The males were arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism, under section 41 of the Terrorism Act 2000 as part of an investigation into suspected Islamist extremist offences in the UK.
“The warrants of further detention expire on Thursday, July 16 for the three men.”
You may also want to watch:
The boy’s was due to expire today (July 14) but it has been extended until July 17.
The east London arrests were carried out with the support of armed officers, although no shots were fired.
- 1 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 2 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 3 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 4 Nine Redbridge parks retain Green Flag Award status
- 5 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 6 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 7 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 8 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 9 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 10 Anti-hate crime workshops to be delivered in Redbridge
However, the 27 year old was bitten on the foot by a police dog during his arrest. He was taken to a hospital where he is still being treated for his injuries.
The other three were taken into custody at a central-London police station.
Officers have also been searching four addresses in east and south London. A search at one address in Leicestershire is now complete but another at a second address in the area is ongoing.