Goodmayes rapper to perform first headline gig
- Credit: Archant
Goodmayes MC Cynikal will headline his first show this Thursday at Leyton Sixth Form College.
The up and coming performer from Ilford released his debut mixtape ‘Breakfast’ in 2012 to critical acclaim from the likes of SBTV and DJ Semtex.
The show takes place at the college in Essex Road, Leyton, this Thursday, April 24, and the young man sees it as the ideal venue for his first headline gig.
He said: “it is the place that I learned my craft and developed my artistry as a performer, arranger and producer when I was a music student, I owe a lot to the college and the teachers.
“Not long after I left the college they built a brand new arts complex of a really high standard and when I took a look at the set up I thought it would be the ideal place for my first headline show.
You may also want to watch:
“The facilities are top notch and will very much feel like a concert even though it isn’t taking place in a typical venue for my kind of music.”
The lyricist went on to perform at the London Olympics and the world renowned Jazz Cafe in Camden.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 3 ‘Hard to comprehend’: MPs react as Sir David Amess dies after stabbing
- 4 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 5 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 6 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 7 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 8 Chadwell Heath pharmacy to offer Covid-19 booster jabs with flu vaccine
- 9 Six cars damaged and lamppost felled in late-night Loxford crash
- 10 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
Following the release of his latest single ‘Lost’ and debut EP ‘Toby’ Cynikal is looking forward to showcasing his development as an artist.
He said: “I’d been searching for a flavour which describes me better. Art is an extension of the creator’s personality and over the past year I’ve evolved a lot, this EP shows that. It’s somewhere between hip hop and indie with a lot of live influence.”
Cynikal attended South Park primary in his younger days before attending secondary and higher education in Leyton and feels strongly that it is his responsibility to give something back to the communities he came from.
He said: “A big part of what I do is to inspire the younger generation now that I am a professional musician and hopefully this show can provide them with some sort of insight in to what it takes to reach this level.”
Doors for the event open at 7pm with a limited number of tickets available on the door for £6. To book in advance visit www.bit.ly/TheCynikalConcert