Goodmayes man on trial for ‘murder’ of party-goer
- Credit: Archant
A man was part of a gang who stabbed an innocent party-goer to death for no obvious reason with “venomous, hate-fuelled force”, a has court heard.
Tyler Burton, 29, of Aberdour Road, along with six others deny murder and causing GBH while Dyer’s girlfriend Aimee Penfold, 25, of Oaks Way, Epsom, is accused of perverting the course of justice.
Ashley Latty, 25, was allegedly kicked, punched and battered in the head with a bottle outside a private party in Dagenham on May 18 2014, before being stabbed five times in the back and chest.
Following the party, Ashley was standing outside the entrance of The Beaver Centre in Selinas Lane at about 5.30am with friends, said prosecutor Simon Denison QC.
“One or more of the seven defendants had spotted him and they decided together to inflict upon him severe violence,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“We do not know why and it does not matter why. What they did had no legal justification.”
He added: “At least one of them had a knife. One of them picked up a bottle.”
- 1 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 2 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 5 Ilford MP Wes Streeting is cancer-free after successful operation
- 6 Tributes paid to Seven Kings activist who 'always fought injustice'
- 7 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 8 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 9 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 10 Women use experiences to offer safety insights about Redbridge
They stabbed and battered him, the jury at the Old Bailey was told.
Doctors battled to keep his heart beating until he arrived at hospital.
“He didn’t stand a chance,” said Mr Denison. “It was sudden, sustained, utterly brutal and without mercy.”
Latty had suffered five stab wounds to the chest and was pronounced dead at hospital at 7.15am. A post-mortem gave the cause of death as multiple stab wounds.
Burton, Nana Oppong, 34, of West Road, Stratford; Kestrel Dyer, 25, of Dawson Avenue, Barking; Daniel Agyeman, 24, of Winterbourne Road, Thornton Heath; Nicholas Terrelonge, 28, of Orange Grove, Leytonstone; Jerome Joseph, 28, of Manor Park Road, Manor Park; Damien Carnegie, 29, of Union Close, Leytonstone, deny the charges.
The trial continues.