Goodmayes man on trial for ‘murder’ of party-goer
- Credit: Archant
A man was part of a gang who stabbed an innocent party-goer to death for no obvious reason with “venomous, hate-fuelled force”, a has court heard.
Tyler Burton, 29, of Aberdour Road, along with six others deny murder and causing GBH while Dyer’s girlfriend Aimee Penfold, 25, of Oaks Way, Epsom, is accused of perverting the course of justice.
Ashley Latty, 25, was allegedly kicked, punched and battered in the head with a bottle outside a private party in Dagenham on May 18 2014, before being stabbed five times in the back and chest.
Following the party, Ashley was standing outside the entrance of The Beaver Centre in Selinas Lane at about 5.30am with friends, said prosecutor Simon Denison QC.
“One or more of the seven defendants had spotted him and they decided together to inflict upon him severe violence,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“We do not know why and it does not matter why. What they did had no legal justification.”
He added: “At least one of them had a knife. One of them picked up a bottle.”
- 1 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 2 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 3 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 4 95pc of children get place at first or second choice primary school
- 5 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 6 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 7 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 8 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 9 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 10 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap
They stabbed and battered him, the jury at the Old Bailey was told.
Doctors battled to keep his heart beating until he arrived at hospital.
“He didn’t stand a chance,” said Mr Denison. “It was sudden, sustained, utterly brutal and without mercy.”
Latty had suffered five stab wounds to the chest and was pronounced dead at hospital at 7.15am. A post-mortem gave the cause of death as multiple stab wounds.
Burton, Nana Oppong, 34, of West Road, Stratford; Kestrel Dyer, 25, of Dawson Avenue, Barking; Daniel Agyeman, 24, of Winterbourne Road, Thornton Heath; Nicholas Terrelonge, 28, of Orange Grove, Leytonstone; Jerome Joseph, 28, of Manor Park Road, Manor Park; Damien Carnegie, 29, of Union Close, Leytonstone, deny the charges.
The trial continues.