Goodmayes man jailed for sexual assaults on Tube
- Credit: Archant
A man caught sexually assaulting three women on the Tube has been sentenced to 20 weeks in prison.
Surinder Singh, of Brixham Gardens, Goodmayes, was caught in the act near Bank station by two plain clothes British Transport Police officers who were out on patrol looking for pickpockets.
His three victims, aged 22, 29 and 39, were all travelling in the same Central line carriage on the evening of October 15 when Singh, 35, passed through and assaulted them. He was sentenced after pleading guilty to three counts of sexual assault at City of London Magistrates’ Court the following day.Pc John Collings said: “I’d like to thank the victims for their co-operation. They, like everybody, have the right to travel on public transport without the fear of abuse.
“Sexual offences of any kind will not be tolerated, and we will always fully investigate all incidences reported to us.”
He said the result is part of Project Guardian, a long-term initiative to reduce sexual assault and unwanted sexual behaviour on public transport in London.
You may also want to watch:
Phil Hufton, chief operating officer for London Underground, said: “We care about our customers and every journey they make. We will not tolerate unwanted sexual behaviour or crime of any kind on our transport network.
- 1 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 2 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 3 Waste reduction campaign launches with Redbridge fifth largest rubbish producer in England
- 4 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 5 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 6 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 7 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 8 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 9 Attempted murder arrest after woman seriously injured in Barkingside
- 10 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
“It is an extremely positive result that this offender has been caught and jailed so quickly for this unpleasant, deeply traumatic and completely unacceptable series of crimes. We will continue to work closely with the BTP to reduce crime and ensure the network remains a safe environment.”