Goodmayes man jailed for sexual assaults on Tube
- Credit: Archant
A man caught sexually assaulting three women on the Tube has been sentenced to 20 weeks in prison.
Surinder Singh, of Brixham Gardens, Goodmayes, was caught in the act near Bank station by two plain clothes British Transport Police officers who were out on patrol looking for pickpockets.
His three victims, aged 22, 29 and 39, were all travelling in the same Central line carriage on the evening of October 15 when Singh, 35, passed through and assaulted them. He was sentenced after pleading guilty to three counts of sexual assault at City of London Magistrates’ Court the following day.Pc John Collings said: “I’d like to thank the victims for their co-operation. They, like everybody, have the right to travel on public transport without the fear of abuse.
“Sexual offences of any kind will not be tolerated, and we will always fully investigate all incidences reported to us.”
He said the result is part of Project Guardian, a long-term initiative to reduce sexual assault and unwanted sexual behaviour on public transport in London.
You may also want to watch:
Phil Hufton, chief operating officer for London Underground, said: “We care about our customers and every journey they make. We will not tolerate unwanted sexual behaviour or crime of any kind on our transport network.
- 1 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 2 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Water company apologises for phone line waits as flood response branded 'woefully inadequate'
- 5 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 6 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 7 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 8 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 9 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 10 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
“It is an extremely positive result that this offender has been caught and jailed so quickly for this unpleasant, deeply traumatic and completely unacceptable series of crimes. We will continue to work closely with the BTP to reduce crime and ensure the network remains a safe environment.”