G4S guards charged with manslaughter over death of Jimmy Mubenga
- Credit: Archant
Three G4S guards are to be prosecuted for killing Jimmy Mubenga, almost four years after he died while being deported at Heathrow.
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) initially refused to press charges against Colin Kaler, Terrence Hughes and Stuart Tribelnig but have reversed the decision following an inquest that found he was “unlawfully killed”.
The Gants Hill resident died aged 46 in 2010 at Heathrow Airport on a plane to his native Angola after being restrained by custody officers.
Malcolm McHaffie, deputy head of CPS special crime, said:“We have completed a fresh review of all of the evidence relating to the death of Jimmy Mubenga, including the new evidence arising from the inquest, and decided that three men should be prosecuted for manslaughter.
“There is sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction and it is in the public interest to prosecute Colin Kaler.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Mubenga’s family were supported by charities and campaign groups in their seven-month fight for criminal charges after the inquest in July last year.
His son, Roland, 19, wrote to the director of public prosecutions calling for action.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 5 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 6 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 7 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 8 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 9 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 10 Police warn of 'violence, urination' as takeaway applies for late licence
He said: “We cannot rest or get on with our lives while this trauma hangs over us. We need closure.
“Until the men stand trial for their action we will remain desolate. Our lives are on hold.”
Roland said his family were “traumatised” and had waited long enough for an answer.
A CPS spokesman said: “We will be writing to the family of Mr Mubenga to explain our decision making, to offer a meeting should they so wish and again offer our condolences.”
It decided there was “insufficient evidence” to prosecute private firm G4S, which holds a range of security contracts with the government, for corporate manslaughter.
Mr Mubenga, a father-of-five, had lived in Woodford Avenue, with his wife, Adrienne Makenda Kambana, since 1994.
He was deported after serving a prison sentence for assault.
Legal charity Inquest, which is supporting Mr Mubenga’s family, called the CPS’s delay “appalling”.
The Redbridge Equalities and Community Council also demanded action, saying the “time for procrastination is over”.
Kaler, 51, from Bedfordshire, Hughes, 53, from Hampshire and Tribelnig, 38, from Surrey will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on April 7 charged with manslaughter.