Future of Wanstead and Woodford stations in doubt, says borough police chief
Redbridge police’s most senior officer has told the Recorder she believes two police stations in the borough could be axed.
Borough commander Det Ch Supt Sue Williams said closures would be drawn from Wanstead and Woodford stations and the police base at Chadwell Heath, with Ilford and Barkingside stations “the mainstayers”.
She also said she is currently looking for a base for South Woodford, Woodford Green and Wanstead safer neighbourhood teams (SNTs) in the west of the borough, but was unsure if all six could remain there.
Plans to move them to Barkingside were halted in December in the face of opposition.
Mrs Williams said: “We don’t know what is going to happen with our police stations.
You may also want to watch:
“But the indication is many police stations will be axed across the whole of the Met.
“So my guess is we’ll lose a couple of police stations.”
- 1 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 2 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 3 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 4 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 5 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 6 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 7 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 8 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 9 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap
- 10 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
On a future west base she said: “If it doesn’t house all six teams, then two of those teams may have to be moved somewhere else.
“But I’m working with the property services department to look at where would be the best place.”
Chadwell Heath station in Wangey Road, Chadwell Heath, and Woodford station, High Road, house four SNTs each while Wanstead station, Spratt Hall Road, houses two.
Cllr Gwyneth Deakins, of Roding ward, called for all six western teams to stay in the area. She said: “We know that police stations in the west are under threat.
“But what we have been promised is that even if they do close, the SNTs will have a base there.”
Cllr Michelle Dunn, of Wanstead ward, said: “We need a police base in Wanstead and we want that to continue.”
The Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime, who own police estates, said no Redbridge stations are currently listed for disposal.
The Met is conducting a review of all front offices.