Warning as careless disposal of smoking materials causes Ilford flat fire
- Credit: Archant
Four fire engines and 25 firefighters were called to a flat fire above a shop in Ilford yesterday (Wednesday, September 4).
Part of the first floor flat in York Road was damaged by the fire.
A smoke alarm alerted the residents in the flat above the property who called firefighters and left before fire crews arrived.
Fortunately, no one was in the flat where the fire started and no injuries have been reported.
Investigators believe the fire was caused accidentally by the careless disposal of smoking materials.
You may also want to watch:
A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: "If you smoke it is vitally important you stub it right out when you've finished smoking.
"If you don't, you risk causing a fire."
- 1 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 2 95pc of children get place at first or second choice primary school
- 3 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 4 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 5 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 6 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 7 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 8 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 9 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 10 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
Fire crews were called at 10.52pm and the incident was over by 11.48pm.
Crews from Ilford, Stratford and East Ham were at the scene.