Fire leads to power failure in Clayhall Road
A HOUSE blaze caused the lights to go out in a Clayhall road after electrical wires started to burn.
A crew from Ilford and Hainault fire stations rushed to Herent Drive at 11.30pm last night after a woman’s home started filling with smoke.
Firefighters tracked down the blaze to a neighbour’s house undergoing refurbishment.
Wires in a cupboard beneath the stairs had burnt out, causing intermittent power failure to other homes in Herent Drive.
Fire crews, who spent 30 minutes controlling the blaze, had to stay at the scene for several hours while workmen fixed the power problem.
The house escaped serious fire damage and no one was inside the home at the time.
A family from the neighbouring home stayed at a friend’s house to escape the smoke.
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Police no longer looking for man wanted in connection with assault
- 3 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 4 Awards nomination for 'rights champion' schoolgirl, 9
- 5 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 6 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 7 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 8 Ilford social club elects new president for 2022
- 9 Driver charged in connection with fatal collision on M11 due in court
- 10 Men jailed for using explosives in string of ATM thefts