Redbridge residents will receive £100 fine for attempting to sleep with a prostitute this summer
- Credit: Archant
From the end of August, on the spot fines will be given to those who attempt to sleep with prostitutes in the borough.
Redbridge Council is set to be the first local authority to issue £100 fines to help combat high numbers of sex workers operating from Ilford Lane.
Between 50-60per cent of the men who use prostitutes in the area are said to live in Redbridge and police previously told the Recorder that while punters are from all backgrounds and ethnicities around half of them live in wards surrounding Ilford Lane.
The decision to issue on the spot fines was made after a public consultation on Public Space Protection Order (PSPO).
Council leader, Councillor Jas Athwal previously said he hopes the initiative will eradicate or at least reduce the “prostitute problem”.
You may also want to watch:
“At the moment £100 (for the person buying sex) is what we can do,” he said.
“It is not just about on the spot fine and we really want to help these women - it is a carrot and stick approach.”
- 1 Residents complain their Ilford street now 'full of crime'
- 2 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 3 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 4 Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer visits Redbridge on campaign trail
- 5 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 6 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 7 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 8 Former Ilford South MP opens up on Labour departure in new book
- 9 Covid hospital admissions and deaths in stark decline, NHS trust data shows
- 10 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford