Redbridge residents will receive £100 fine for attempting to sleep with a prostitute this summer
- Credit: Archant
From the end of August, on the spot fines will be given to those who attempt to sleep with prostitutes in the borough.
Redbridge Council is set to be the first local authority to issue £100 fines to help combat high numbers of sex workers operating from Ilford Lane.
Between 50-60per cent of the men who use prostitutes in the area are said to live in Redbridge and police previously told the Recorder that while punters are from all backgrounds and ethnicities around half of them live in wards surrounding Ilford Lane.
The decision to issue on the spot fines was made after a public consultation on Public Space Protection Order (PSPO).
Council leader, Councillor Jas Athwal previously said he hopes the initiative will eradicate or at least reduce the “prostitute problem”.
You may also want to watch:
“At the moment £100 (for the person buying sex) is what we can do,” he said.
“It is not just about on the spot fine and we really want to help these women - it is a carrot and stick approach.”
- 1 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 2 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 3 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 4 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
- 5 Where to go for Italian food in Redbridge, according to TripAdvisor
- 6 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 7 'Important' business park to be exempt from new planning rules
- 8 EV charging hub launched in South Woodford as ULEZ expands
- 9 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 10 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford