Redbridge residents will receive £100 fine for attempting to sleep with a prostitute this summer
- Credit: Archant
From the end of August, on the spot fines will be given to those who attempt to sleep with prostitutes in the borough.
Redbridge Council is set to be the first local authority to issue £100 fines to help combat high numbers of sex workers operating from Ilford Lane.
Between 50-60per cent of the men who use prostitutes in the area are said to live in Redbridge and police previously told the Recorder that while punters are from all backgrounds and ethnicities around half of them live in wards surrounding Ilford Lane.
The decision to issue on the spot fines was made after a public consultation on Public Space Protection Order (PSPO).
Council leader, Councillor Jas Athwal previously said he hopes the initiative will eradicate or at least reduce the “prostitute problem”.
You may also want to watch:
“At the moment £100 (for the person buying sex) is what we can do,” he said.
“It is not just about on the spot fine and we really want to help these women - it is a carrot and stick approach.”
- 1 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 2 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 5 Ilford MP Wes Streeting is cancer-free after successful operation
- 6 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 7 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 8 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 9 Tributes paid to Seven Kings activist who 'always fought injustice'
- 10 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London